Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, i have another problem with my Ford Focus ZTS 2001, now im [boxface] [spank] the guilty not him, i lost the key [bawling] and i dont have another one [bawling], the big issue its im not in USA, i live in Central America what i can do??? can Ford sell me a new key for my car without the car??? or there another way to help me?? I apreciatte all your help [bawling][bawling][bawling][shameful]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry but i dont know what is that? i think you try to tell me if we have in my country special locksmith??? no nobody knows how to do it i call the company ford over herre and they tell me they only work with FORD version of Argentina not USA

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The key has a "chip" in it which needs to be recognized by the car's "PATS" (permissive anti-theft system) computer.

This takes a Dealer or locksmith's computer plugged into the car.

IF you have TWO keys that work you can program a third yourself without a computer...

Unprogrammed, the key may turn, but the car will not run.

Junkyard PATS WITH keys already programmed to it might work, all I can think of right now.

Hope someone can confirm this (have heard it works, but only on the site here) OR has a better answer...

Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My only suggestion would be to travel to the states, depending how far south you live in central america, and go to a ford dealership and get a new key from them. There should be a ford dealership near you though that can do this. They usually can look up your VIN # and get the exact size and teething of your key and make you a new one. It's lengthy and time consuming for you, but other than completely rerigging your car to run without the key, so far it seems like it's your best option due to your location. Just make sure you have sufficient information and proof the vehicle is yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i can go to States, and take the papers of the car like the title, pictures of the car in nicaragua, and i have docs when we buy it in California, and do you know how much it´s that and can you tell me what its Rerigging the Car?? please!! i need help

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Nicaragua is a long way from California..
I remember when I used to lose/lock my Crown Vic keys in the car all the time. The dealer down the road from me could cut a key for me by VIN #
So I guess you could have that done with your VIN since its an 01 (My Crown Vic was a 03)
But the PATS chip won't be programmed so you won't be able to start the car.
A dealer can help you do that with their computers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys i talk with Ford Company and tell me they dont make a new key with the same system, and thats a big problem to me because i cant take the car no states only to make the new key and program the new key,Do you know how or can be possible to skip the security of the key or something like that??? PLEASE HELP BECAUSE IF I DONT DO IT MY CAR IS ONLY PIECE OF METAL AND PLASTIC!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You have two problems
Getting a key cut I think this can be worked out
And getting the PATS programmed which will be difficult

You have to check with the Ford office over the dealership to see whether "we only work on Ford Argentine market cars" is crap

Assuming that is is NOT

Then you have to figure where the PATS module is. Is it ''inside the Powertrain Control module or is it 'inside' the Generic Electronic Module??

There is a possibility that the module can be removed and sent to a Ford dealer or sent to a really great friend who owes you a big favor and stick in his car
I know the Powertrain Control module is engine specific and probably year specific too and for all I know is transmission specific.

Be aware, the dealer will insist on proof of ownership as it will be difficult as there is no vin number on the computer
Mexico might have USA market cars.
Besides the USA have you thought of contacting Ford dealers in Costa Rica, Panama and perhaps Belize? These places are known for American retirement communities.

Check back here as I am going to investigate something and report back

See this

http://www.1-800-pdq-keys.com/news.htm

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/536822-pats-system-2003-focus-zx3.html

http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/FORD PATS.pdf

The above outfit sells a programmer, contact them and maybe someone around you got that

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975

This one says the PATS is in the Powertrain module

http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=19985

give name of something to disable PATS

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
gtamarizch:

Those Web links are what I found later...
hmmm

possibilities

Before you go to the states...

Then you need to contact a dealer and see what they can do for you. While it might be technically possible to program the Powertrain computer out of the car- I don't know if they could actually do it.

There IS a possibility that THEIR supplier can do that.

There is a grave issue that whether they WILL do it

When I had keys made for my TC [see left panel] I had to show them my registration and insurance coverage to order keys [no dealer can cut TC keys-strange looking things]

The other route that you can go is to contact the programmer folks and see what locksmith has one where you will be--Perhaps they sold a programmer to someone in your area.

I think you need to ask SEVERAL Ford dealerships, then go to the Zone office.
I think this is a case that you will get different answers with every dealership and you solution may lie with some wizard a dealership has

On this Forum there is a regular poster from Ford some customer service guy-I think he is currently on vacation.
His handle is FordCustomerService
There is a nearby thread that has this title: The Official Ford Customer Service “Out of the Office” Thread
On the other Forum there is a Ford dealer that sells parts- I would think he might be knowledable

Do not pound your head on just one wall--you have to pound your head on many walls

On my last link as above there is a small reference saying that a new tune can get rid of the PATS system. You will have to do major research to figure that one out. If possible that will not be cheap either!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi guys i talk with Ford Company and tell me they dont make a new key with the same system, and thats a big problem to me because i cant take the car no states only to make the new key and program the new key,Do you know how or can be possible to skip the security of the key or something like that??? PLEASE HELP BECAUSE IF I DONT DO IT MY CAR IS ONLY PIECE OF METAL AND PLASTIC!!!
Hi gtamarizch,

It looks like we have a Ford dealer in Nicaragua - http://www.centroamerica.ford.com/s...per&marketid=1178872352564&c=DFYPage&site=FCA. They may be able to assist. I'm not sure how it works in Central America, but in the U.S. customers must show:
  • Personal Identification such as a valid Driver's License or a state-issued picture I.D.
  • The vehicle's documentation with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and the name of the person seeking the key codes. Examples could include: a current Vehicle Registration, current Certificate of Automobile Insurance, Vehicle Title, or Bill of Sale.

Good luck!

On this Forum there is a regular poster from Ford some customer service guy-I think he is currently on vacation.
His handle is FordCustomerService
There is a nearby thread that has this title: The Official Ford Customer Service “Out of the Office” Thread
mikeeshaq,

Thanks for the mention! That thread is just to inform everyone if I'm going to be out for a few days in the future. BTW, I'm a girl. [giggle]

~Natasha

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
OK
FordCustomerService gave you a link to Ford dealers in Central America

Contact them all, one by one- see who has the brains and the knowledge to help you.

Do not send an one Email with all of them being listed

I am sending you my personal Email address and although you need not contact me, I would appreciate it if you could keep me informed of your progress when this thread gets buried because of age.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Thanks for the additional info. Mike - PATS with matching keys from another vehicle was the best idea for a 'quick fix" i could think of....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Sailor:
Your advice is probably the one that gtamarizch will 'bleed' less from.

But the Powertrain control module HAS to be from the same year, same engine and same transmission.
And trust the junk yard not to stiff him too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Key

Hi gtamarizch,

It looks like we have a Ford dealer in Nicaragua - http://www.centroamerica.ford.com/s...per&marketid=1178872352564&c=DFYPage&site=FCA. They may be able to assist. I'm not sure how it works in Central America, but in the U.S. customers must show:
  • Personal Identification such as a valid Driver's License or a state-issued picture I.D.
  • The vehicle's documentation with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and the name of the person seeking the key codes. Examples could include: a current Vehicle Registration, current Certificate of Automobile Insurance, Vehicle Title, or Bill of Sale.

Good luck!

mikeeshaq,

Thanks for the mention! That thread is just to inform everyone if I'm going to be out for a few days in the future. BTW, I'm a girl. [giggle]

~Natasha
thank you natasha and mikeeshaq, for your time and your indication, this Ford in managua, nicaragua as the same that i asked about they can help me but the frst time they say cant help me because they dont have the tools for american cars, only for argentinas car but yesterday i call again and they say can help but really i dont trust in this company i gonna show him the registration and everything of the car to see if they can help or not, they say i need new keys to the car, where i can buy it in the USA, and what i can tell to the company, its necessary change the ignition cylinder and the doors key or what can you help me with this??? If Ford inNicaragua can do it i have to go to COstarica to do it but its expensive take the car to another country most when the car cant run

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
thank you natasha and mikeeshaq, for your time and your indication. yesterday i call again and they say can help.
My pleasure, gtamarizch. I hope they are able to help. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, Guys i want to tell you i knew a person can do the job for U$300.00 he give two new keys, the guy comes and conect the computer i only remeber the brand "Silca", and make the conection with the computer of the car, he check how many keys are saved in the memory of the car and the says "2" but i only have one, when he erase these keys he try to program the new keys but i dont know if he do something wrong or he tell me the truth because when he put the new one he turn the ignition cylinder to on and he wait like 3 minutes and the light in dashboard never turn off, he tell thats a problem because the light in the dash has to turn off to close the program he tell me sometimes when the car haves some electric problems the computer off the car doesnt accept the new keys until we fix the car is truth or not?? somebody knows something about this or have some video to watch the correct process!!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Check your battery terminal connections- remove, clean, reinstall. Yes low power can cause some issues with the computer, but I don't think that's his problem. I hope you waited to pay him after he finished, or didn't pay him everything. Hopefully he'll do the right thing and decide to figure out what he did wrong so he can get your car running again. It's probably something simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts