Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 ZTW wagon 150,000 miles. It happened while driving, sort of a jerk then a lose of power. when I pull the plug wires , 2 & 3 make no different. tried with a plug stuck in the wire, no spark. 1 & 4 are working. what happen?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Broken wire at the coil connector.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You need a new coil, and apparently a spark test light too. It's dangerous to hold a plug against the block to test for spark. You can damage your coil, yourself, or start a fire. I have a friend who got 2nd degree burns from doing just that. Old timing lights will work if you have one laying around from back in the day when engines needed timing adjustments.

Check and make sure that the wires that plug into the coil are secure in the connector. We have had a few FF's have problems with the wires coming out of the connector- losing connection- etc. Ford makes a replacement pigtail for that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip, I will use my old timing light to test with. So you think the coil has failed? easy change?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the repair manual and the coil ties 1&4 and 2&3 together so it makes sense it's the coil. easy change it seems too

·
Registered
438 Posts
How's the connector to the coil? Any loose or bare wires?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found the problem, it was a broken wire right at the connector. The sneaky little bastard was broken off inside the intact plastic covering so it looked whole. I wiggled the wires and it snapped off. Ford makes a replacement pigtail ($45). replacement was a snap and the car runs great again. Thank you to all that had the right answer. now to wait for the engine light to go out

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Awww man... I'm sorry. I thought it was the coil, but I always advise people to check that connector. I guess I should've stressed the KISS principle. I haven't been following up on the thread either- been busy. I'm glad you got it fixed, only sad you spent money on a coil you didn't need.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You need a new coil, and apparently a spark test light too. It's dangerous to hold a plug against the block to test for spark. You can damage your coil, yourself, or start a fire. I have a friend who got 2nd degree burns from doing just that.
This is why you get a neighborhood kid to help you out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, the car broke in my backyard and I fixed it myself with the groups help for cheat bucks and I got a spare coil out of the deal. It could have broke last week when I was hundred's of miles from home

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Shouldda trusted me to begin with, LOL.
Glad you got it fixed. And thanks for letting us know it's fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts