Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my stupidity -i lost my only key to my 2002 ford focus. Ford tells me i can no longer get a key code -can only go back 10 years also called ford customer service. Told the same thing --said to get a locksmith which is expensive --is this really the only way now to get a key code --does somebody know of any other way. Please help!!

Thx

jeff

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi, my stupidity -i lost my only key to my 2002 ford focus. Ford tells me i can no longer get a key code -can only go back 10 years also called ford customer service. Told the same thing --said to get a locksmith which is expensive --is this really the only way now to get a key code --does somebody know of any other way. Please help!!

Thx

jeff
Hello merkur,

In this case your dealer is correct. Key codes for vehicles older than 10 model years are not available. If your local dealership is unable to duplicate your key, they may be able to recommend a reputable locksmith in your area to perform this service.

Try contacting your dealer to see if they have any recommendations with pricing.

Have a great day! [:D]

Tricia

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
No key or code on hand, it's locksmith time.

You COULD order a new cylinder & keys, drill out the lock & replace it, then have the car towed to the Dealer to program the keys. Only other option I know.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I bought my 2000 with no keys. I called the local locksmith and had two keys made and programmed for $120. Its really not that expensive. They came to the car, took the lock cylinder out of the door, and used 5 different blanks to insure they got it right. Put the car back together, handed me the keys, and I haven't had any issues. That was over two years ago.

The price isn't bad at all, and I'm sure it'd be cheaper than if ford could get them and program them.

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
The chip comes out of key in seconds on early ones. Simply slip it in a section of correct size vacuum hose to hold it in place and plastic wiretie it to steering column to hold it in place. I have two cars like that, a key costs $2.

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
If you only knew, I have stuff like that all over the cars to avoid paying for Ford parts that just break as fast as the first ones did. Somewhere around this site I used to have a list of the 50 very common things Focus cars break way before time to cost you thousands in what at least I view as unnecessary repairs.

Door latch motors, window regulators, stat housings, door handles, rad fans, trunk lid shorts, I could keep going for an hour easy. The car line has more parts engineered to break early to create parts sales than any other car I have ever owned. Ford now does not use the engineers to make the parts better, rather they re-engineer them to last only a certain period of time to then break on purpose, you can look at the parts and even guess where they will break.

Take the stat housing alone on the zetecs, they started making it out of metal, then weakened it by going to plastic then weakened it further to change the plastic type to an even weaker one and to make sure even designed a notch to make sure the leaks began quicker at that exact point of the notch.

Only an idiot can't see what they are doing there, the motor design goes easily 300K miles. They made it more susceptible to overheat to put more of them into the scrapyards earlier, the cars wouldn't die and you can't sell new cars that way. Ford is now about wanting the cars to last but not TOO long, it kills sales.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd love to see those 50 repair list you made. I have 2 zx3s 1 is a base model the other is an SVT the base model I cant roll down the driverside window manual crank stripped out and the driverside door will not open from the outside so the fun job of changing those I might as well do the passenger side too I'm sure it will break right after I fix the first side .I love the cars they are fun to drive handle great and a relatively cheap to fix

1 - 18 of 18 Posts