Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost the keys to my wagon today. I only have the 1 key because of how expensive they are to program through Ford since you need 2 to do it yourself. Can Ford cut and program a new key using my VIN? Car is 2007 ZXW SES.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I used a local locksmith. He came out. Removed ignition tumbler and used it to cut the key. Then programmed the keys for 1/2 what dealer had quoted

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
They don't do older ones as mentioned in some posts here, but just where the cutoff is I don't want to guess at - yours might be new enough so call them.

If you have the code card that came with it new (with the manual?) it would be easier.

Still would need a tow to them for programming the car.

P.S. - if using a locksmith make SURE to get TWO keys, programming won't work properly if old codes erased and an attempt made to do only one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ford quoted me $250 and I'd need a tow. Locksmith was just a little cheaper and he comes out to me. Guy is coming 2:30 today, we'll see how it goes. $200 for keys... FML. I'll be looking into disabling the the chip stuff in the future.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ford quoted me $250 and I'd need a tow. Locksmith was just a little cheaper and he comes out to me. Guy is coming 2:30 today, we'll see how it goes. $200 for keys... FML. I'll be looking into disabling the the chip stuff in the future.
I can't remember how to disable the ford keys but I know the GM keys had a resistor inside them

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
To make it work without a chipped key you need to remove the chip from a key and tape it next to the sensor coil around the lock inside the column.

Any key or screwdriver Jimmy will start it then.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any key or screwdriver Jimmy will start it then.
Pardon my skepticism, sailor, but that makes no sense. The chip is just another layer of security, the ignition won't turn without a properly cut key; unless all Focus keys are the same...

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yup, exactly that (key that works) plus the old way of stealing a car by busting the lock.

The extra security is nice, defeats any who think they can force their way to drive it still. Not all thieves know which cars have the security chip setup and which are key only.

Which way to bust the lock is a preference, I haven't any info. on what works best for this one! Just busting it out with a slide hammer seems to be the norm, then a screwdriver for a key to turn the recessed switch.

As long as you're paying the big bill for new keys, might as well use them.

Had some that went the other way, like one that wanted more than half a dozen keys for all who might use it and wasn't worried about security.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my '03 used last year, only had one key. Called Ford about getting a new one or two, they said it's "too old," that they "don't support it any more..." ...jitbags....LOL Visited local locksmith (luckily still had the one, which wasn't even an original Ford key), he's like, "Sure, no problem" I had him cut me a new key, plus a non-chipped key incase I lock my keys in the car. He was cool, let me watch him go about it as I had no idea how they program them to the car, but for some reason, he "had to" cut a second chipped key - something about the car computer was maxed out on number of keys that had already been coded to it and he had to program at least 2 new keys to it after flashing it, or somesuch, I dunno, but I only wanted one more chipped key and a "plain" key for the door.
So when all was said and done, he tells me he knows I only wanted one chipped key but he "had" to make the second one and offered me a deal.....the one chipped key was $50 total, fair enough, I thought, the spare "door key" was just a couple bucks, and he sold me the second chipped key for $10, saying that it was gonna be trashed since I didn't ask him to do it. So in effect I got 2 new chipped keys for $60....and the one that came with the car still works. SOOO, I used some velcro strips to safely secure one well hidden inside the car should I lose my cars while away from home, got the "door and trunk only" key in my wallet, and all is well. I was really afraid I was gonna get gouged badly by the dealer and turns out I got, really, a pretty good deal from the local guy......who also can come out to your location 24/7 and do a new one on the spot from the ignition as mentioned above.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Locksmith played it safe with the two new keys & gave you a deal - that's cool.

There IS a max number of keys that can be programmed to the car (don't know the number offhand) and when erasing to start from zero you DO need to program a minimum of two for it to work.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My butt still hurts and I still only have 1 key. Really thinking I should have bought $20 in switches and spent a couple hours deleting the ignition and wiring up a "race car" panel...

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You can do it now, with the single chip to use with the transponder ring.

Wouldn't work without that.

$200 for a house call & only one key?

Ouch!

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Until you figure out how to switch that PCM on without the chip you can buy all the 'race car panels' you want........................and car still will be quietly rusting in place.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Until you figure out how to switch that PCM on without the chip you can buy all the 'race car panels' you want........................and car still will be quietly rusting in place.
This is the good stuff to know. I was under the assumption that deleting the ignition would do away with the need for the chip in the key. Granted, I haven't researched the process in detail. I thought it was the ignition switch that needed the chip and that cutting the wires off it and running them to switches would bypass the chip function.

Sailor: Yup, $200 for the house call (well work actually) to come out on Saturday and cut/program a key. Ford wanted same price and would have been for 2 keys but I would need a tow to get me there. I don't have AAA, just friends with trailers but they were unavailable.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
There is a separate coil (plastic circle with wire connection) around the lock assy. that is the antenna for reading the RFID chip in the key.

It's not something that can be physically bypassed, system computer reads the I.D. and compares it to the ones stored in the PCM as valid codes to "authorize" start & run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my '03 used last year, only had one key. Called Ford about getting a new one or two, they said it's "too old," that they "don't support it any more..."
Just last weekend I had the local dealer cut and program me two new keys for my '02 wagon. May have helped that my kid is a tech there but he reported no support issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just recently I grabbed a third key from ebay to have as a 3rd spare for my 07.

If you have 2 working keys you can program them yourself. My luck if I only have 2, I will lose 1 at some point, if I have 3, Ill never lose 1, lol. Did the same thing for my 06 Mustang.

Back to the 3rd key from eBay. I took it to the local Ace Hardware to have them cut it. She explains to me that it will still need to be programmed to start the car. I know, I got it covered, thanks. She starts to cut the key, and is taking a little while, I am just kinda walking the area browsing as I notice her go to the new key rack....... few minutes later, shes done, hands me the key and said she programmed it already for me. [:0]
Well it wasn't the key I brought it, she must have screwed up when she was cutting it, grabbed one off their rack made new, programmed and off I went, no charge, and the key works like a charm.

ACE just must cut keys for free as I did the same thing for my sons GTP, and she didnt charge me to cut it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts