Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 Focus and I lost the keys to it and had 2 different locksmiths come out and try to cut a new key. They made the keys however, neither couldn't program them. Then, I found my keys...in a box of cereal...but now even with my original key the car won't start. The lights and everything turn on also the icon on the bottom left of the guage cluster flashes rapidly. Is it possible the locksmiths activated the anti theft system? Is there anyway to reset it if possible? Can I go to the dealer and have them cut another key? Or am I going to have to get it towed and have them reprogram something?

The things I've done:
1. Put the key in the driver door, locked and unlocked repeatedly.
2. Put key in ignition left on for about an hour.
3. Disconnected battery and reconnected.

Also the car is manual locks and windows.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

You're going to have to have it towed to a Dealership, as the locksmiths managed to erase the old keys without programming new ones (best scenario).

One simple possibility is that they for some reason didn't know that TWO new ones need to be programmed in when starting from none. If they tried to do just one for you it wouldn't work.

If you have two good keys, at least you won't have to pay for additional ones when it's repaired. If you have more than two, get them all done. Add a third (program yourself) later is possible once you have two good ones to use for that.

Obviously wouldn't recommend trying the same locksmiths again, original keys avail. won't make a difference if they aren't having luck using their computer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang ok, well I have 3 keys now, 1 original and 2 from the locksmiths. Can I reprogram them myself or I still have to go to the dealership?

·
Registered
374 Posts
U need a scanner to program unless you have 2 keys already programmed to the vehicle. Some repair shops can do it may be cheaper than the dealer. If u were close I'd do it for u, but I aint near Texas lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You need TWO keys programmed into the vehicle to program a third in yourself.

When starting from scratch (none on hand) you need to program in TWO at a minimum for it to work. Doing one only as the locksmiths apparently tried will not work. Ford can't do it either.

It's impossible to start from scratch & program key codes into the car's system without the correct computer setup - you can't do it yourself without the right tools.

Locksmiths made it secure (lost key won't work) but they didn't complete programming new ones so your car's system is now blank - no key will work.

Your option what to do, try the same locksmiths again/try another/take it to a Dealer.

Dealer is prob. the best option after TWO failed attempts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks I called the dealership they referred me to another locksmith which they said have all the same parts for programming but will charge less. So I'm going to tow it there give them all my keys and money probably, then hope for the best

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No fun, you were stuck once the first locksmith cleared the old key. Good if you never found it, not so great when he couldn't get you a new set working.

No programming a replacement without TWO good ones is to prevent a valet or anyone else driving your car from easily making a duplicate. Good in theory, but now there are "clones" possible to bypass that.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I used them about 6 years ago on my 2007, I seem to remember he sold me a genuine Ford PATS blank, cut it to match the one key I had, and programmed it into the PCM for about $60. Now I was able to drive the car to him so there was no charge for him to make a house call.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks, I have to tow mine. The place I was recommended to is by 281&1604 and I'm off 410&90. I'll try giving your place a call. Do you remember where they are?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think they are mobile, they'll com to you. I just met him in the CarMax parking lot where he routinely did work for them. They are on the web. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I ended up using the locksmith the dealership recommended. He got all three keys programmed to the car, but the car still won't turn on and does the same thing. Anti theft light flashes repeatedly. He then asked if the transmission had been acting up before, which it has, it hasn't been going into the over drive gear. He said it was more than likely the pcm causing both problems and to take it to a transmission shop to get it fixed. Has this happened to anyone before?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I've seen problems mentioned before after a Locksmith mucks up the programming that were only fixable with reprogramming using a FORD system.

That's the reason a Dealer was recommended for your problem.

If your closest Dealer doesn't want to do it, you're stuck finding a better Dealer.

Could require a reflash of the PCM by the Dealer before it will work right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dropped it off at the stealership last night, they called this morning to tell me it's going to cost $120 to do what the locksmiths already have done. Then after that they are going to do a diagnostic and charge me more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now $225 later nothing has been accomplished and they said either the gauge cluster is bad or the pcm is bad. They don't know which

·
Registered
17,502 Posts
Why hopping from one place to another is always bad, each new guy cannot assume the previous knew his nose from a hole in the ground and must start all over.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got "no key fob found" (spare 2nd key fob) after I did recalls 16c13 and 16s30. checked manual put it next to steering column still didn't work. any idea how to fix it? I guess when they changed the BCM I need to program the key fob ? (they couldn't update my old BCM so they replaced the whole thing) also MPG is pretty low, like 15 and usually it's 23 and up. I guess new BCM it takes awhile for it to learn/clear up or soemthing? so far I just driven 35 miles but MPG is low.

also later if let's say lost the key fobs, avoid locksmith and just go to dealer? or doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts