Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a help with a problem on my '04 SVT. Two weeks ago after a quick stop for gas, I got on the freeway and all of sudden could not go into 5th or 6th. The car goes into 3rd & 4th instead. I did search several forums and did the typical cable adjustment (popping up red locks at end links on trans linkage, put shifter in the middle, etc.). I did several times and I still cant get 5th or 6th to engage. I popped off the shifter cover and the white bushing at the shifter base appears to be ok. It looks engaged and not broken.

I'm looking for help as to what to look for next. The previous owner removed the counterweight from the shifter.

• The car shifts fine from 1-4.
  • One thing I did notice, no matter what gear I'm in 1, 2, 3, or 4, I can physically move the shifter all the way to the right, while driving & in gear. An over abundance of slop while in gear.

I did read about a square bushing at the tranny linkage possibly causing slop, but don't recall reading about this bushing causing an issue with 5th or 6th gear engaging.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Start with looking closer at the shifter mech., as with that much slop it won't get into any gears reliably.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I will be in decatur thur-sunday if you want to swing by eagles canyon raceway i can take a look at it and possible solve your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you NotReal for the offer! I finally found the issue. Where the shift cables mount to a bracket just downstream of the transmission linkage, the top cable cap & spring popped off. I retightened the cap and put the spring back in and I finally have 5th & 6th and very little slop in the shifter. The weird thing is the spring just sits in the cap & not held down by anything.I would think the cap would have a lip to hold it in, but it doesn't. I'm guessing the spring will pop out again eventually....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts