Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I drive a 2012 Focus 2.0 GDI with the powershift transmission.
This morning, I had a very unpleasant surprise when the car started having some serious acceleration problems.

1. Accelerate so the car downshifts. RPMs usually get above 4000, as expected.
2. A few seconds after the downshift, RPMs suddenly drop (very quickly) to 2000 and the car feels like it loses all power.

It happens on several (all?) gears in Sport mode. I don't know about other modes, my commute is too short for me to really give it a try.

First time was just after a U-turn, under heavy acceleration to get up to speed with other cars (and that could have ended badly) as well as when overtaking, at about 80km/h (50 mph).

I went through several threads on the forum and searched but could not find anything similar.
I'm posting hoping someone will recognise this issue and be able to give me an idea of what's going on with my car.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I will take the car to Ford if it still happens this evening. I'll also try and record a video of it with my dashcam pointing at the gauges.

Thank you all for reading and for any information you may have about my problem.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section.

You can get more info here, and in the MkIII problems section.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Reads to me like your engine went into protect mode.
The sensors read something (detonation) and shut the engine power down to 'limp mode'.
First thing i would guess is 'bad gas' (the gasoline is of poor quality and you got so much knock when accelerating that the engine went into limp mode)

When accerating hard, or higher RPM, knock, or detonation (if the gas is too low octane) increases greatly, and the fact it happened when trying to increase rpm and heavy throttle..
Thus my diagnosis

So other than that.. ??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it and it makes sense! I actually filled up my tank about 5 km before it happened. I guess the gas station messed up...
So, it should be back to normal once I fill up again? I'll try and do it regularly - from a different gas station.

On my way back home today it did not happen anymore but I noticed something else: When rolling down a hill using a little engine braking, the car felt like it was "engine braking - free wheeling - engine braking - free wheeling - ..." and so on. Does that confirm your impression?

A more obvious way of describing it would be "My wheels are not perfectly round anymore!!"

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yes the gas fill just before may be the key.
And yes try a different gas station, at least for awhile. Even the owner of the gas station may not really be to blame for the bad gas in his station.

We had some problems like that one year. Several stations got gas with a lot of water in it and folks who bought gas at those places had all sorts of problems.. It even made the local news.

You might even return to the station and complain about the gas. If it was a mistake they may be grateful to know.. If they just yell at you.. Then time to buy gas someplace else from now on.. [hihi]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts