Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for previous threads, all seemed a bit different and I didn't find anything where the issue was resolved. This just started yesterday, but was fairly dramatic.

The battery light came on while the car was warming up, then went off. The odd thing is the heater was blowing out cold air even after a few minutes, but as soon as the battery light went off, it started blowing warm. Then when the light is off, no issues. Later on last night, it came on again while i was driving, and the dash lights as well as the headlights were very dim. I had come to a stop at a stoplight and as I pulled away from the light, the engine was restrictive and seemed like i was starting off in 3rd gear. Through all gears was a serious loss of power. About a minute later the abs and traction control lights both came on and stayed on till I got home.

First issue I've had in this car, and never had it in my previous focus. I should mention it's a 05 2.3 ST if that makes any difference. I've seen the post about grounds, alternators, etc, but im confused as the alternator is good, the battery is a month old, and grounds seem secure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention it's not constant. Today it was fine, no battery light until about 30 minutes in, and then it went away. No loss of power, or any other lights on. Just the battery light coming on for a minute or two, and then turning back off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And just got stranded. Came out of the store and the car wouldn't start, dead battery. Looks like it's pointing to the alternator afterall.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went through the exact same thing and it was a loose cable

which cable was it for you? i looked at anything I could think and it seemed like everything was clamped down pretty good, no give in any of the wires

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was the cable (about 8 gauge) on the positive cable. If I remember it was one with a ring terminal.

This morning was a big test, heated seats, high beam, defroster, etc. All of the draw and not a single problem

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Check under the insulation on the positive and negative cables. Often they'll look fine on the outside but be a melted mess underneath.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I left this unanswered it looks like. Ended up being a pigtail. My local mechanic handled it, and now the issue is resolved. Now if I could only get rid of that long crank issue I'd be a happy guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts