Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to say this place seems really great. I've been reading many threads the past few days and have learned alot.

I've got a 2003 Focus SE SPI. It currently has about 52,000 miles. I just recently replaced the air filter. Additionally, I just bought some new spark plugs. I'm going to install those tomorrow. I doubt it'll fix my problem, but at least I'll know for sure.

The CEL came on, for the first time, tonight while driving home from work. The problems I've been having with acceleration have been going on for the past month or so. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

From what I've been reading here, it seems as if the problem may be with my o2 sensor and/or my Catalytic converter. I just have a feeling that's the problem. It feels like a clogged Cat, but that could just be my imagination.

I guess I'll head over to Autozone to find out why my CEL came on.

If I have to replace my Catalytic Converter, where should I get it replaced at? I need to check and see if my warranty is still valid. However, if it is, would this be covered? Also, any other suggestions on my acceleration issues? Thanks

-diVe-

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
if i remember right the cat has a federally mandated warranty of 100000 if i remember correctly. its seperate of the car warranty

oh, ever changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Agreed ^^ I would do that fuel filter first , just to make sure that isn't it..

Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a similar problem that turned out to be the fuel pump in the gas tank going out. The problem got progressively worse as my fuel level got lower. Hopefully your problem is a cheap one to fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a fuel filter today, but haven't installed it yet. I was working on the spark plugs today and as I was working on the second plug, the rubber, on the end of the distributor cable crumbled in my hands. I mean I tugged on it, but not hard enough to do that kind of damage. I guess it was rotted? So I guess this is something else that'll need replacing. :)

I'm gonna buy me some new cables and finish the spark plugs tomorrow. Afterwards, if there's any light left in the day, I'll get to work on my fuel filter.

I'll keep the fuel pump in my mind as another possible culprit to my problems.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I get the feeling hte problem crumbled in your hands.
But do the maintenance anyway since your hands are dirty already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I installed new spark plugs and cables. Additionally, I just finished installing a new fuel filter. I installed it without using a jack. It was a major pain, but I completed the task. It's a pain, because I have big hands and there's not much room to work with that damn fuel filter. :)

I've got a floor jack and two jack stands, but I couldn't get any clear instruction on how to implement them without destroying my car or myself. Also, I'm not very good at jacking up a car and I have a fear that I'll get crushed. :p

The car runs much better now. After my tune-up of the spark plugs, cables, and fuel filter, the CEL remained on. So I took it to Advance Auto Parts. I told him what was going on and the repairs I've made. He scanned it and it gave the following codes:

P0457:
EVAP EMission
Control System
Leak Cap Loose/Off

P0316:
Misfire Detected
1st 1000 Revs.

P0303:
Cylinder 3
Misfire Detected

I told him the CEL came on before I started doing my repairs and he thinks the computer just needed to be reset. So, he reset it. The CEL went away. He revved it for awhile to see if it'd come back on, but it didn't. I then drove it through town for around 30 miles and the CEL has yet to come back on. Hopefully I fixed the problem.

By the way, the fuel filter was clogged. I tried blowing air through it and it seemed like the air was getting blocked. I tried the same thing with the new filter and it was like night and day.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Well if you didn't disconnect the battery before doing any modifications, like purging the fuel system, you will get a check engine light.

I got a CEL when I changed my fuel filter as well. Then I reset the ECU, and CEL went away.

for future reference: always disconnect the battery when doing engine work such as fuel injection, Air induction, or even a balance shaft delete on a duratec. It's kinda like the first step to anything except for suspension and brake work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts