Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^No...60lbs. (4x15=60)
Check Carrera26's formulas:
And don't forget the ratio of weight loss.

Sprung weight = 1:1 ratio
Unsprung Rotational weight = 1:3 ratio
Driveline Rotational = 1:15 ratio

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
what ever the freak that means

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So whats the best wheel for the money? cutting weight is my only goal. If I can gain only 1 mpg and gain 5-8hp the money will be well spent in my opinion.

·
Registered
296 Posts
"Best" wheel for the money...there is none in retro. It really depends on the application you are using this wheel for...also, you need to match your tire with the wheel, size, width, etc. Not only this, but your suspension setup will have an effect on what type of tire/wheel combo you would want to use (not just due to size, but getting the "best" suspension setup possible using all factors avaliable to you).

I would say the best bang for the buck would be to start at the flywheel...since rotational mass (like mentioned before) has a sort of multiplier effect on weight and real enging HP.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought that wheels counted as unsprung weight, and driveline rotational would be something like an underdrive pulley, drive shafts, clutches or a flywheel.

From Carrera26's formulas:
And don't forget the ratio of weight loss.

Sprung weight = 1:1 ratio
Unsprung Rotational weight = 1:3 ratio
Driveline Rotational = 1:15 ratio
And since there are 5lbs. being removed from each wheel that would be:

4wheels x 5lbs a wheel x 3 = 60lbs

And I've been told that roughly for every 100lbs of sprung weight lost is worth a 0.1th of a seccond in the quarter.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
4wheels x 5lbs a wheel x 3 = 90lbs
Um...
4 x 5 = 20
20 x 3 = 60

what ever the freak that means
From the formulas listed earlier:

1) Wheels/tires = "Unsprung Weight"
2) Unsprung weight has a 1:3 (1 to 3) ratio on sprung weight.
3) 5lb lighter wheels (unsprung weight) is equivalent to losing 60lbs of sprung weight.

Lets look at that another way:
Wheels = unsprung weight
Rear Seat = sprung weight
Say your entire rear seat assembly and attaching hardware weighs 60lbs.
By losing 5lbs of weight at each wheel (20lbs total), you would gain the same performance as pulling the rear seat (60lbs) out would.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts