Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem just started last week. My car loses very little coolant while I drive, but sometimes when I stop it just unloads. I really can't see where the water is coming because it just pours out from the driver side. The pouring is recent, so before that happened I figure it was just the thermostat, but it's not it. My car doesn't overheat, except for the first and only time. I take good care of my car, so can someone give me an idea if I can do it myself instead of taking it to the shop?

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
433 Posts
you sure it's not the thermostat?? Sounds like a problem with the pump/thermo where the engine heats up, the coolant rises and overflows then it finally is circulated through the radiator. I think usually the engine warms up, the thermo opens and then begins the cooling process through the radiator assembly. This is my guess but I'm no expert. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I replaced the thermostat just to be sure, it was only 12$ dollars. I was hoping for an easy fix.
My next guess is the water pump but i cannot find a page showing how to replace it Can someone let me know if they know how to change it... for that matter how it looks like.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
did you replace any hoses? could be a cracked/damaged hose. start with the cheap things first, and then after you rule out the inexpensive stuff, try the more expensive. Did you check your fuses? Are you getting water pressure in the hoses, or are they collapsed? Drive around, and when it starts overflowing, pull over to a safe spot, and try to figure out where its comming from. The water pump is very easy to find.. look on the passenger side, underneath the car, and looik where the serpintine(spelling) belt is. it should be the closest to you, and the lowest accessory on that serpintine belt.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Its a hole in the hose, a loose clamp or ( gulp ) a hole in the rad. You just gotta find it !!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I did get my problem fixed. I was just about to install the new water pump when something hit my eye. I saw the proplem. A scratch on a hose!!! I took it off and i bent the hose, it turned out to be a huge hole. I guess with all the pressure, it would be possible for a lot of coolant to escape from that one scratch. Went to the stealership and it was 40$. The hole was right next to the clamp, since I am cheap i just cut off a piece and stretched it. The hose runs from the radiator to somewhere down to the thermostat. You really can't tell the water hose is strecthed. Anywho I am happy. I got the problem fixed and I got $50 back for returning the water pump. Thanx for all your helpful hints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts