Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've gone through over 500ml of brake fluid in the past few months and no idea where it's going. When it gets low my brake light turns on when I turn right but if I turn left or continue straight it's off.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm losing fluid? I've checked for puddles or anything like that after the car has been parked and there's nothing. I find it funny that the light only turns on when I turn right no matter how sharp the bend.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's not evaporating, so there's a leak somewhere.

Best bet for one you might not see easily is seepage at the rear wheel cylinders. See any "grunge" at the bottom of a backing plate and a fairly good leak is confirmed there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much I'll have a look for that. One of my friends suggested that my engine could be burning it. He said the pump could be backfiring and some fluid is going into the pump. Is this a possibility? What has me confused is my light is only on when I turn right.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
One of my friends suggested that my engine could be burning it. He said the pump could be backfiring and some fluid is going into the pump. Is this a possibility?
Not possible...there is no pump...just a vacuum booster.
What has me confused is my light is only on when I turn right.
Not really something to be concerned about. The important thing is you do have a leak. The small leaks will evaporate and you will not see them dripping on the ground. You must check the rear wheel cylinders and the front disk calipers to find the leak(s). Small chance that you may have a leak in a line as that would probably cause brake failure, so look at cylinders first.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. Sorry he did say vacuum and not pump.

Ok I'll have a look after college. Do I need to take anything apart or is removing the wheels sufficient to have a look?

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Do I need to take anything apart or is removing the wheels sufficient to have a look?
For the rear, apply the brakes real hard and then remove the wheel and drum. On the front, just remove the wheels and look at the pistons. If you can't see them well, then you will have to remove the calipers...just two bolts there.

For rear, there are 4 bolts on the backing plate to remove and then the drum will come off. Don't remove the spindle nut.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fluid leak from a master cyl. that gets into the vacuum booster isn't very common, one of the last things to check.

Pulling wheels to get a better look at each corner would come first, before any further disassembly. You're looking for hints as to where the problem lies before digging deeper.

Low fluid indicator is turned on by a float on the reservoir cap, just how the fluid sloshes & the float wiggles can affect when it turns on. Top up when it turns on, not when it comes on constant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts