Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 Ford Focus ZX5.
In February a friend replaced my lower radiator support. I bought the part on Amazon.

OE Replacement Ford Focus Radiator Support (Partslink Number FO1225163) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GC944Q/

Soon after the radiator support was replaced, I noticed a lot of shaking of the whole car when idling at a red light or stop sign, especially when the a/c is turned on. The shaking goes down when I am driving (not idling), or the car is in park.
Recently I took my car to a repair shop. The mechanic showed me the car while it was up on the lift. He showed me that he could actually move the radiator about 1/2" up or down between the lower radiator support and the upper core support. He said that was more movement of a radiator than he's ever seen. However, he said that he didn't have an obvious solution.
My friend is going to look at my car tomorrow to try to see what can be done. I wanted to post here and ask if anyone else had ever experienced this kind of issue with radiator shaking.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine mounts have already been replaced. My friend thought that was the issue, so that was the first thing he replaced. That did help some, but still the car shakes severely at idle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Start with the easy stuff. Look for a vacuum leak. When were spark plugs last changed? Any misfire codes? Does the MAF sensor work?

Next, check compression for consistent readings cylinder to cylinder. Check vacuum gauge reading - should be steady at idle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Engine mounts have already been replaced. My friend thought that was the issue, so that was the first thing he replaced. That did help some, but still the car shakes severely at idle.
Radiator mounting issue is not the source of your vibration. Were Ford or aftermarket mounts used? Aftermarket mounts are garbage.

BTW your lower radiator support is not 'OE' (original equipment - ie Ford) regardless of what Amazon says - it is aftermarket (which in this case is probably fine).

Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know exactly what type of parts were used to replace the engine mounts. However, I took my car to a different mechanic Saturday. He had the car up in the air, and said that the new engine mounts looked ok.
The only thing that stood out to him was how much the radiator moved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't know exactly what type of parts were used to replace the engine mounts. However, I took my car to a different mechanic Saturday. He had the car up in the air, and said that the new engine mounts looked ok.
The only thing that stood out to him was how much the radiator moved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FF Mobile
Aftermarket mounts can last days or months.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Or not at all. Pass side mount likely, the aftermarket absolutely suck and likely the issue, Don't think you can look at it and tell, impossible. I've had them go bad in minutes. Ford part only there or put up with it.

If one checked close most Focus radiators will move up and down that much even with the rubber isolators in there once they compress with use. To get them truly tighter you must shim them even more, BTDT on two of them now.

No way does the rad shaking shakes the rest of the car, in fact, the looseness makes sure it can't (give it some thought).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your engine is shaking for some reason. You just see it in the radiator because it is loose in it's mounts. Two Separate issues.

Finding out why the engine is shaking is the tricky part. Mine is doing the same thing.
Shakes at idle and is much worse with AC on. I have all new OEM mounts too.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
The engine will shake somewhat even running perfectly at idle, it's a four and they are out of balance at low rpm. They actually are at higher rpm too, the time element just precludes it happening where you can feel it. Why you need an added balance shaft.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just made a short 10 second video of my car's engine while idling. Trying to give a sense of what the engine noise sounds like. Not sure if the audio quality is good enough.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VW5rPqmDpw6xnsSy6
From that video I would say you have a perfectly smooth running, non vibrating engine that makes hardly any sound at all when its running.

Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts