Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Loose gears, and no reverse...

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  defendorange 
#1 ·
OK, so i normally don't ride my svt rough so stuff like this doesn't happen... but the first thing i noticed is when trying to shift into reverse, it just stayed in first... all the other gears it goes into fine... but the stcik is very loose, to the point your in first and it almost feels like it could be in fifth... i saw a few posts before about an orange clip... would that have anything to do with this?

and of course [ffrocks]

#3 ·
you could have done what i did and bent the shift fork and if that's the case you have to replace the trans. now as long as you don't have a short throw shifter of SC- turbo on your car and are still in the 100K mile warranty you should have to only pay $100.00 for the new trans.

#6 ·
Had The Same Issue With My 02 And It Turns Out The Black Plastic Grommit That Screws Together About Six Inches Back From The Tranny Was Cracked So A Little Gorilla Tape And I Was On My Way. The Detent Plunger Is Hit And Miss Trial And Error I Just Lucked Onto The Proper Setting Good Luck

#8 ·
Actually i discovered the problem. it was the small plastic peice that allows you to shift into reverse, that moves the right cable over... without the plastic piece the ball bearing would pop out and not shift the reverse. $8 from ford, so i'm hoping this is it. But one question still remains. my shifter is still loose. any one know how to tighten the shifteer so there is less play in it?

#10 ·
So I put on the new plastic piece on. and the ball bearing is still popping out... Now when it's cold, my reverse still works... but after i've been driving a while, it will just pop out... due to the heat allowing the plastic piece to flex... anyone have a solution for this? been thinking about getting the after market reverse shift, like VW's have... anything else come to mind?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.