Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While getting the oil changed at Midas (hey, it was free), the techs found what was an annoying problem on my son's SPI: the EGR tube had come out of its mounting bracket (at the 90° bend end that goes into the engine). They pushed it back in and the noise obviously went away, but they and I know it will come back.

Has anyone had this happen, and would tack-welding it back onto the bracket be a workable solution? Or, if you've replaced yours, how much did it run you, and is it that difficult a job?

TIA.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just had to replace mine about a week ago. Welding it is pointless. You can get one off of ebay or from ford, but ford is expensive round where i live. "They pushed it back in and the noise obviously went away, but they and I know it will come back." it's just gonna pop right back out when he hits a bump or the gas hard enough.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=ford+focus+egr+tube&_sacat=See-All-Categories

i just got mine and is working better than ever. but make sure u get a new gasket for the egr tube to mount to the manifold and a new egr valve gasket. They're the same thing and wont have the gasket for the manifold/egr tube listed. Just ask for the egr valve gasket. 2.69 at auto zone. It's much easier to take off the egr valve with it when swapping it out.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
happened to my brother in law too, I never got around to it...

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
zapping it with a mig would be a quick temporary fix, but it prolly wouldn't last long.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I just had to replace mine about a week ago. Welding it is pointless. You can get one off of ebay or from ford, but ford is expensive round where i live. "They pushed it back in and the noise obviously went away, but they and I know it will come back." it's just gonna pop right back out when he hits a bump or the gas hard enough.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=ford+focus+egr+tube&_sacat=See-All-Categories

i just got mine and is working better than ever. but make sure u get a new gasket for the egr tube to mount to the manifold and a new egr valve gasket. They're the same thing and wont have the gasket for the manifold/egr tube listed. Just ask for the egr valve gasket. 2.69 at auto zone. It's much easier to take off the egr valve with it when swapping it out.
I welded the bejeezus out of mine, and it held until the motor blew.

·
Registered
326 Posts
well hence the fact you blew your motor.. sounds like welding the bejeezus out of your car isnt the right way to go.
it's damn aluminum.. if you are actually capable of doing it, it wont last long.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
well hence the fact you blew your motor.. sounds like welding the bejeezus out of your car isnt the right way to go.
it's damn aluminum.. if you are actually capable of doing it, it wont last long.
The engine blew from a broken head gasket, Mr. Wizard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yea this happend to me...well somewhat only mine blew and my engine sound like a diesal engine (god that was horrible) s i got mine replaced brand new for like $50 at a local shop...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it got tack welded so we'll see how long it lasts. Sounds wonderful right now!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine went out. I replaced it and then it went out right before the 1 year ford part warranty was up. I tried welding mine but it don't stick. What pisses me off is I noticed no difference either way in fuel eceonomy.

I have a 93 mazda mx-3 4cyl and it gets awesome milage and doesn't even come with an a egr valve. My focus about 20 - 25mpg. My Mazda 27 to 33. My Mazda is a stick though. So that could be it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You have to braze copper, I think. I know you can't just weld it together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts