Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a rattle today on my 15 hatch I noticed that the only loose thing under the car is the block heater moves around quite freely; making contact with the manifold heat shield.

This Shirley can't be normal? I assume that the heater is a rigid attachment?

The image is taken above the engine and to the drivers side of the manifold. The block heater is the piece with the orange cable attached to the end.

Attachments

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
sure does! if it fell out of the block there would be one heck of a coolant leak
I have to check mine but I remember seeing something like this

·
Registered
85 Posts
garboui,

That is an uninstalled (ready to install) block heater. i don't know if the dealer is supposed to install the b/h when the vehicle arrives at the lot but the block heater should be zip-tied out of the way so that it doesn't clank around.

Safety Nerd time: You probably know this but do not plug in the block heater unless it is installed in the block (and there is coolant in the block). If plugged in as it is dangling in the air, the element will get really hot and likely burn out (because there is no coolant to moderate the element temperature).

I will have to poke around the engine bay of our Focus to see if there's a bock heater tucked away under there. That would be pretty sweet if Ford included one (although the garage prevents our cars from getting really cold in the winter months).

Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
FocusFanatics,

Back from the dead for an update/correction.

No, that is not an uninstalled block heater. The style of the heater has two extended pieces coming from the nut that screws into the engine block. The extended pair goes to the electrical connection that has a socket onto which the knurled fitting screws on (after the plug is plugged into the heater).

Sorry for the duff information. It only took me 2.5 years to figure it out! [:I]

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts