Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Dual 12" subs that I got off my gf's brother for $20 [hihi] and they hit pretty well with my Kenwood 1000 Watt 2-Channel amp but they are heavy.

Some Pics of my setup.

Now with a 1 farad capacitor.

but heres the thing, I'm going turbo soon and I dont want the huge subs and heavy box but I still want to keep the same amount of bass and keep the same amp. anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a Memphis Audio 12"?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
What is your budget and your fabrication skills?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Research Infinite Baffle setups.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
good idea. boxes are where most of the weights at.
depends on the setup, my single rockford t2 12" is atleast twice the weight of the 2.0 cu foot ported box its in, 3/4" mdf wood.
i dont know much about the shallow mounts but i havent heard of one yet that can handle a 1000watt amp. what you need is just a sinlge 12 in a ported box that can handle that amp. a single sub that can handle that wont be all that cheap though. most subs that can handle that are gonna be costing you a good 350-500 plus the cost of building the box. you could sacrifice a little bit of bass (1-2 db ) and not even realy notice the change. just downsizing to a single sub would loose a good 50+pounds. cost of building a box is about 60-120.

heres what i found in a quick search

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_compare.asp?cat_id=4&locale=en_US&comp=(112877,112878)

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/compare/subwoofers/swx-1043d,swx-1243d,swr-1522d

fyi, your power/ground wires look a little small for 1000watts

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
That's a KAC-7204 It is 170x2 at 4 ohms. 500x1 at 4 ohms.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
didnt check into that, you need a single 8 ohm 12" sub that can handle 500watts. wire it at 4ohms bridged in a ported box. have fun with that one im not seeing any that have those specs. could downgrade to 2 8"s and run them at 250x2 at 2ohms. wont be as loud but wont be as heavy either. but still 2 8s with 250watts each would sound good and deep.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Actually...with those dual subs in the preloaded box your total weight for everything is only like 60 pounds...if that, plus your amp and battery if you have one or whatever. That's not much. Unless you are looking for space then I would just keep them. You can definately get better quality and spl from different subs because those are basically entry level beginner subs, so they weigh only like 15-20 pounds each. My XXX12 weighs in at around 93 pounds alone, plus the box, batteries, and everything else. I do notice it's a tad slower but nothing im too worried about lol.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
I would say that the box in your trunk isn't going to be what slows your car down that much. 50 or 60 pounds in a car that weighs more than 2623 pounds? Not gonna do much. If you're worried about shedding weight, shed it where it's really going to count. Get some lightweight wheels or delete the back seats. $500 will get you a new set of Rotas or Kazeras.

That being said, I would personally build a new box, because I'm not too fond of the way your current one looks. You might save some weight by designing your own sealed enclosure and using fiberglass or carbon fiber, but the weight loss would be so minimal, it wouldn't be worth the time if that's all you're trying to get out of it. If you're going to spend the time/money on a new box, I would suggest getting some higher quality subs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts