Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for easy ways to expand. I can't buy a new car til the wife finishes grad school, so I am stuck here. We just took a trip with the three of us last week, my son is 2. MPG was wonderful with the three of us and the hatch loaded to the brim. There was just enough room for everything, but it was tight.

So what I am thinking is to get a hitch and a cargo carrier. Install will be easy and only cost me $184 for both. I plan to get a bike rack too so this would also benefit that. Then get the Rubbermaid bins that we use to store stuff and tie three of them on there. Or get the cargo bag that sells along with the carrier and put various items in it. It can hold 200lbs minus 35lb carrier so 165lbs.

Has anyone done this on their focus? My cousin has four kids and they have a huge one they use on the minivan, holds tons of stuff.

cargo carrier - curt 18110

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an option but it seems to be very costly.

I am leaning towards the hitch mount because of the other usability. I can get the bike rack and a ski/snowboard carrier

·
Registered
51 Posts
Especially on a small car like the focus you're going to feel the weight of having anything on a hitch a lot more than if it were on roof. Albeit you won't hurt your gas mileage as much from a reduction in the drag coefficient. Personally I hate hitch mounted baskets but they definitely serve a purpose and are good at what they do. Just know you will probably have some reverse rake going on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts