Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm becoming more and more interested in autox. My current mods include FS stage 2 turbo, Exedy stage 2 clutch, FS cat-back exhaust, H&R lowering springs, and front tower strut bar. I still have stock brakes and differentials. What all do I need to do to be able to compete?

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
your turbo will put you in street modified like me ...it's a tough class but i like a challenge[thumb]
as far as what to get besides A LOT OF SEAT TIME [/B]...( which will be your greatest asset) will be a limited slip diff cause SM is a hard class with evos & sti-s but don't let that discourage you.... it's soooo much fun hard to believe it's legal.

BTW....welcome to your neew obsession[;)]

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so how are the classes usually broken down. Will upgrading the differentials, sway bars, shocks, and struts move me into a different class or no?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
The turbo is what nails you to SM.
You can do pretty much anything else, and you'd still be in SM.

You can download a PDF of the SCCA Solo Rule book from this link:
http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61
^^^2009 rulebooks should be available any time. (I see they still have 2008 listed)

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! That helps out alot. I guess I could've gone there to start with. Also, tires! What tires are most preffered and have the best performace for autox? I'm looking to get new tires with income tax.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Hoosiers FTW!

Uh, but if your new to autox, you'll probably want to start with a good street tire. Research: Dunlop Star Spec, Bridgestone RE01Rs, maybe the new Kuhmo's??

Reactions: SMITHBOY76908

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! I checked each one of them out on tirerack and the Bridgestone RE01Rs have the best ratings and reviews, but the Kuhmo Ecsta MXs are definitely the cheaper route! I'm gonna have to think it over and decide before next week. Thanks for the input!

As far as sway bars, struts, and shocks, which is best out there and most widely used?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'd go with the good street tires, but my advice for people new to auto-x is, before empting the wallet on go fast parts, work on the part that holds the steering wheel. As focusedaddiction stated "seat time".

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gotcha! I'm definitely gonna get some seat time in before hitting the track hopefully by summer! Thanks for the help, its much appreciated! [thumb]

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Actually you want to look at the Kumho XS, its out new this year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Actually you want to look at the Kumho XS, its out new this year.

Yep...along with a bunch of others. The RE01 is being replaced by the RE11--so there may be some closeout deals on the 01s soon.

The RE01 has a softish sidewall, and from what I read so does the Kumho. Something like the Dunlop Z1 with a stiffer sidewall may serve the Focus better--it's not a light car, even when 'stripped'.

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually he's talking about seat time at the track. It's a completely different driving experience than on the street or back roads. here's a good read that helped me out http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm.
Don't worry about beating anyone yet, just have fun, that alone is worth it.
well, right! I'm talking about grabbing an abandoned parking lot and setting up some cones (or markers of some sort) and getting the feel for the suspension and its limitations, that way I can work out the kinks before I step out on the track so I don't look like a jackass! lol [:p]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
In all seriousness...don't waste your time in the parking lot.
You'll only develop bad habits, and there's no way you'll be able to duplicate genuine AutoCross conditions.
^^^Worse yet...there's no way to duplicate SAFE AutoCross conditions.

Nobody is going to laugh at you at your first event.
On the contrary, you'll find genuine respect from fellow competitors,
and everyone will be most willing to help and answer any questions you may have.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Yep...along with a bunch of others. The RE01 is being replaced by the RE11--so there may be some closeout deals on the 01s soon.
With the new RE11 coming out, I would say finding some RE01's on closeout would be a good way to go.

The Dunlop SS are pretty affordable, I just wish they made them in 225 for a 15 inch wheel.[mecry]

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just went and checked out a set of Bridgestone RE760 Sports. Expert tire here in Laurel, MS is having a great special on them trying to promote them. I'm buying a set of 225/45/17.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
that way I can work out the kinks before I step out on the track so I don't look like a jackass! lol [:p]
Be prepared to have your butt whupped- by a girl, even.

This is ALL about the driver, at least for your first season or so. Eventually you'll be able to benifit by performance mods, but at first, they might unbalance the car and actually make it harder to get the basics down. There's a lot of science to all this.

My advice to you is try to have an instructor drive your car for you early on. You'll be amazed by what your car can already do...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This may sound funny but experienced drivers will say this "slower is faster", means driving to hard through a corner, sliding the front tires,understeer.
Learning car control at an auto-x will help in emergency situations on the street, like black ice, etc...

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very well understood. I'm taking all this into consideration. I'm not afraid to lose, that doesn't bother cause if I'm gonna be in a tough class with STIs and EVOs, then I know I'm gonna get my ass kicked!

It makes me want to get into autox even more when you say it will improve my every day driving skill.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts