Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have the money to do my first upgrade to my 5 spd 2000 Ford Focus ZTS.

I'm considering the Mac Short Ram Intake. (I really don't want to spend more than $150 on an upgrade).

I've also considered simply upgrading to a K&N filter.

Is the Mac Intake worth the $140 price tag or am I better off just paying the $35 for a K&N filter. Also, for those that have the Mac Short Ram intake, how is it?

Or even yet, is there any other upgrade (for $150 or less) that would yield an even better performance gain?

Thanks to all you focus veterans for helping a noob like me!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would buy a good used AEM short ram or cold air. I say that becasue I personally like the design better because the maf bolts right to the intake tube, that way the air never has to pass through different diameter tubing. I would think that would flow better than the air being sucked in a good filter, being squeezed through the little maf tube opening and then going into the huge intake tube. Just doenst make sense to me. The AEM goes from a good filter into a huge tube and into the tbody. I think its a better design, but its up to you.

Buy a good used AEM and buy a new filter for it

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Jborden said:
I would buy a good used AEM short ram or cold air. I say that becasue I personally like the design better because the maf bolts right to the intake tube, that way the air never has to pass through different diameter tubing. I would think that would flow better than the air being sucked in a good filter, being squeezed through the little maf tube opening and then going into the huge intake tube. Just doenst make sense to me. The AEM goes from a good filter into a huge tube and into the tbody. I think its a better design, but its up to you.

Buy a good used AEM and buy a new filter for it
Yeah, go with AEM. You can find one pretty cheap on the FF Marketplace. Also check out eBay. I got mine for $75 shipped. Don't be tempted by the low price of those no-name eBay intakes though, they're a bigger headache than they'll ever be worth.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I believe F2 has a CAI for $80, so if you want a well priced intake, that's another option. As far as it's quality, I'm not sure, and I believe it is also a smaller diameter piping than the AEM, so in the end it's all up to you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trickfocus said:
I believe F2 has a CAI for $80, so if you want a well priced intake, that's another option. As far as it's quality, I'm not sure, and I believe it is also a smaller diameter piping than the AEM, so in the end it's all up to you.
does anybody have any experience with that $80 cai? the price seems almost too good to be true. how well does it work?

·
Registered
226 Posts
i put a MAC SRI on my focus and noticed an ever so slighly amount of power. Now what i did love was the sound when i get on it :D that and saying i cut off my resinator and got a pipe mandral bent to put in, sounds DAMN good!

·
Registered
21 Posts
YEAH thats cool i did the same too my dads ford focus zx3 5 speed manual there fun but yeah i like i said i drive it around town u know like to have fun there quik little cars maan i really hate ppl DOgging them but yeah im new to this buy its kool umm yeah wen i just go my job i took my first paycheck and went on ebay and spent like 30 bucks to get it and 80 to have put on it's a 4" inch out let and 2.5 inch inlet yeah they sound good but like i want to do shit to it but its my dads car and im trying to saVE money ahhaha kinda hard but yeah u said u had the resisantaer cutt off we had that done too and the muffler but my dad went got a KnN charger kit and yeah so like wats funny about this cars is that wen u run the AC there slower than [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* hahah have u ever noticed that ? mann and my dad always argues with me with the silncer ppl say with the bafal in they save gad bc there is bacpressure but with it out it sounds so good and they say it waste gas so yeah is it true i think it is but still idk ?[:)]

·
Registered
295 Posts
^Wow

^^ That's in the running for the worlds longest run on sentence, all I have to say about that is proper capitalization and punctuation is the difference between: i helped my uncle jack off the horse and: I helped my Uncle Jack, off the horse. Proper spelling always helps too, but beyond that, welcome, and I concur, the A/C rapes the engine of horsepower to the wheels, so I usually sweat my ass off driving around town, plus the MythBusters proved it's more efficient than running the A/C.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just for the record i got one of the lower priced ebay cai, and the only prob i have is it has let more air than the maf is used to so until i either reprogram the maf or get a aftermarket one my check engine light is one sometimes, but it is just as nice as k&n if you buy from the right people on ebay.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Used SVT airbox and snorkel.

There's a snorkel on ebay, and someone on here was selling an airbox.

You can usually get them both together used for around $50.00. Drop a K&N filter in there, and voila.... an intake that outperforms a volant, and won't hydrolock.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
honestly, svt snorkle with an itg drop in, remove the resonator for that growl, do the hrw mod (remove the hump on the rad cover), and port the stock throttle body. all around impoved Intake and throttle response. and only about 100 bux.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went with a MAC SRI for my first mod, and I must say I like it quite a bit. Being a complete car noob, it was a pretty easy installation. Also, another plus is the detailed instructions on the www.myfordperformance.com website. There is a slight gain in power in the lower gears, but the mod is really about the noise. It gives it a very nice deep tone [:D]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts