Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Those kits are LONG gone... all you can do is search/watch for one here in the classified section or on eBay. I have been looking just out of curiosity and only seen one or two kits in the last three years.

The only available kit for boosting is a DIY turbo kit from Focus-Power in NC.

SVTF DIY Turbo Kit

Make the call & see what's all involved with this kit...

·
Registered
177 Posts
You are likely only going to find the procharger option in a new box somewhere. Occasionally one of the jackson or powerworks pop up for sale...just gotta keep an eye open. Personally, the turbo is a better way to go, I sold my JRSC and installed a turbo, night and day difference in power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm i havent looked into the turbo any idea how much thats gonna run me?
forced induction is the last thing i have to do to the car to be done. minus paint

·
Grey Friar
902 Posts
IIRC, forced induction on an SVT requires reducing CR (fatter head gasket, for instance, or go all the way and swap in different pistons/rods) or you will lose a lot of tuning flexibility. And the VCT complicates tuning further. Also, any kit for SVT must come with a new IM, or you have a bigger problem... the runner seals. You basically have to scrap the original engine design to get boost, or you don't see as much gain as you would if you just built up a Zetec (stronger internals, FI cams).

·
Registered
177 Posts
hmm i havent looked into the turbo any idea how much thats gonna run me?
forced induction is the last thing i have to do to the car to be done. minus paint

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quite honestly if you want a faster car I’d drop the SVT. Far too many are already molested and parts are running out. Maybe get a duratec and boost it or mod the hell out of a zetec?

·
Registered
2 Posts
preferably jackson racing or powerworks

truefully just want to supercharge my 2002 svt
CarGuyNeil,

I am the owner of the Focus SVT shown in the posting by Rotaryrocket under the "Focus-Power - DIY Turbo Kit Info". That's my car in the under-hood photo with the Focus-Power Turbo kit installed. There's no mistaking the custom orange-painted cylinder head cover on my Competition Orange 2004 Focus SVT with the Euro package.

I'll try to make a long story short. I purchased a complete Zetec engine with the Powerworks Supercharger kit installed. The guy who sold it to me was a machinist who had done all sorts of work to the engine - new cylinder head, pistons, scissored crank, connecting rods, race cams, etc. - and I bought the engine with the Supercharger installed because, just like you, I wanted the Supercharger long after it was no longer for sale. I had a local shop take out my original SVT engine and install the engine + supercharger, but they could not finish the job.

I wound up putting the car on a flatbed and sent it to Tom Lesperance of Focus-Power - Tom's Focus Fanatics handle is 1turbofocus, and he used my Focus as the "poster child" for the installation of the Focus-Power DIY Turbo Kit. The machinist guy was a bit dishonest with me when he said that he had tuned the engine and supercharger to run on street fuel. Tom discovered that with all of the engine modifications, the set-up would require that I run race fuel all of the time due to the high compression ratio - the set-up was clearly designed only for track use, not street use. The worst part was that one of the pistons was hitting the bottom of the cylinder head, which I'm sure would have eventually caused mass descruction! Tom recommended that we keep the engine, remove all of the race parts, put back original SVT pistons, cams, crankshaft, cylinder head, etc., and install the Focus-Power turbo kit. Tom did all of the engine re-build work, uninstalled the Powerworks supercharger, and installed the turbo kit. Tom still has Powerworks supercharger, and I asked him if he would sell it for me because he is better equipped to handle shipping all of the parts.

You are welcome to contact Tom directly at focus-power.com (704-249-3745 or [email protected]), or please respond back to me if you would like to discuss with me. I would be glad for the supercharger to get a new home, but I would also be happy to talk to you about my experience working with Tom and the Focus-Power turbo kit installed on my car.

John T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts