Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys looking for some suggestions on parts/upgrades for my new red 2003 zx3 svt i4 16v Zetec DOHC i just bought it a little over 2 weeks ago.

Main thing- is there a way to remove the governer or get more top end out of the car... currently tops out at 108 w/ aftermarket cold air intake and exhaust. Looking to beat my friends 2004 pontiac grand am gt which tops out at 125ish. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ok. Svt with 5-speed. And my svt is drag limited to about 125-135 later is hill assisted.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A Turbo-Tom tune is a great start toward improving performance and drivability.
If it's a 5-speed, it isn't an SVTF, they are all Getrag 6-speeds. How many miles on your new SVT, nony_D? When was the timing belt assembly last changed? How's the thermostat housing holding up, and what about the clutch master cylinder? These are all known "issues" with our little race cars. Please post some pics, and [welcome] to FF!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She just hit 125k miles... not sure when the timing belt assembly was last changed or anything about the clutch master cylinder or the thermostat housing... also how much are a turbo tom tuning?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just request pics of a certain part and ill send it...

·
Registered
262 Posts
if your not sure when the timing belt was changed, then park up that baby, and set about changing that belt, its a must mate, not knowing should make you fear the worst, ive had a timing chain snap on me on an old mark 3 fiesta diesel, cost me £900 for the fix

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its my DD so i cant park it... what all can go wrong of it goes out?

·
Registered
262 Posts
if it goes out, your looking at bent valves and various other head damage, witch requires a new head, or a re-build head,

witch means your dd is out of action, until you can come up with the $800 plus to fix, its one of the most important parts of your engine, if the timing belt snaps, your valves are on free-fall, and they will smash the [:)][:)][:)][:)] out of each other, it will bring your ride to a stop, but the damage will of already been done

your head rely's on timing, valves go up and down, as soon as the timing belt snaps, the control over the valves has gone, so they take on a life of there own, smashing the shit out of each other,

it only takes seconds with a snapped timing belt, to destroy your head, its a MUST!!!!!

anyone else back me up on this!!!!!!! ?????????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive heard that that is one problem in the focus... is there anyway i can can check it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I thought the regular zetec was a non interference motor. I don't see an svt focus in these pictures. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought the regular zetec was a non interference motor. I don't see an svt focus in these pictures. I wouldn't worry about it.
Alright so if it goes out it shouldnt snap any valves id just be sitting and would have to replace it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes. I had a Mazda 626 that way. Just put a new belt on and drive away. You can damage a non interference motor if its severely caked with carbon deposits as they can close the gap, but on a modern engine like this that shouldn't be an issue. Regardless, I would do timing belts on 100k mile intervals just to avoid the unscheduled downtime. If your concerned just pop the cover off up top and check the belt visually.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea i just bought the car 3 weeks ago have put ~1,500 miles on it so im just looking into everything... its currently at 125,000 miles and im debating on changing it idk if its been changed before or not

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
your car is a non svt but good news you have fun parts pre installed.

your car has an after mkt header, see if its svt or a 4-1. also check to see if your TB is the stock plastic crap or a cfm/bbk. also check to see if you have stock cat back or not. if all 3 are a yes id just get a tune and go on to suspension for now.

for suspension check to see if those are stock as well since you have an upper strut bar. it looks like the previous owner did some work.

check under the car for colored springs. if they are red/purple/whatever those have been done. check struts too black = stock; after mkt = red/yellow struts

look under the back and get a ruler, check the size of the sway bar. if its 18mm go ahead and get a 25mm one. the front should be 21mm stock, get the 22mm after mkt front bar isn't a drastic change. again color is a good sign its after mkt.

if aaaaalllllllllllllll of that is done, get cams. no obvious signs yours have been changed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my suspension is lowered 2" im not sure if they are all stock struts and shocks of if anything was replaced. also what do you mean by TB. As well the exhaust doesn't have a cad (not that a cop could check due to low ride height) but if it makes a difference just thought id add that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also how do i tell the difference between a svt and a 4-1 header... also id like to get a tune but don't feel like spending $400 to get one at the moment

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Probably m2, idr of eibach, vogtland, h&r or any other major companies made 2" drops.

Struts/shocks do the same job and are just put together differently.

Tb= throttle body. If its cheap plastic then its stock. Aluminum = after mkt

If your car is loud I'd assume cat back was done. Not sure what a "cad" is

4-1 means all exhaust ports join at once. Iirc svt is. 4-2-1 meamsing it has four pipe and the meet in pairs and the pairs become one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts