Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get new speakers for my ZX3. I used to be a musician, so I hear the music a little different than everyone else. I'm looking for good quality sound, with good bass punch. NOT SUBWOOFER BASS! I want to hear the the bass drum and bass notes. MAybe if there are some fellow musicians in here you could help me out.
Should I look at two or three way type speakers? I kind of like the Infinity's.

Also- Are the wires connected to the speakers with terminals or solder?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well the only way you are going to get the lower bass notes are with a subwoofer. Regular speakers are basically mid-range speakers and don't reproduce the lower frequencies too well. If you want the lower bass, but don't want subwoofers, check out Resonant Engineering's 8" subwoofers (www.REaudio.com). They are incredibly affordable, and an amazing subwoofer. They sound good, and they get fairly loud for an 8" subwoofer. I think one of these would be the exact kind of thing you are looking for.

·
Registered
400 Posts
In my old 00 sedan, I had the polk audio momo speakers installed. Pretty good bass without a subwoofer. They were about $150 for the pair. I installed them myself. If you go to circuit city, you can purchase an adapter that turns the ford terminals into the speaker wire connectors for car speakers. Each one of those ran about $1.98 each.The install was easy. Taking apart the door panel can be a little frustrating if you do not have power windows. Infinity speakers are nice, but I found their bass is a little to weak. That is why I choose the Polk audio.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'm not a musician, but I worked around pro audio a number of years when I was younger. I don't know if it was a blessing or curse. [;)] Once you hear what an audio system can sound like, it makes it hard to settle for less. Budget then becomes the deciding factor...

So, what's your total budget for the system?

The car environment will never sound as good as a nice set of home speakers, but we make due.

Your budget is first.

As far as the chain of components in a Sound Quality system:

Source or Head Unit - HU
Stock HUs have limited DACs, and don't have RCA pre-outs for amps.
You can get a LOC, but if you want SQ, then you want to upgrade with an aftermarket HU.
Range, $200 for a good used Alpine 9815 with 6 1-bit DACs, around $450 for a newer 9835 or 9855 with the same internals as the 9815, $300-$450 for decent Pioneer or Kenwood with 1 24-bit DAC, $700-$800 for Clarion DRZ9255 or McIntosh MX406, and then there are a couple of options for external processors. After doing lots of research, the Alpine 9815 is the best bang for the buck. If anything should go wrong, it's only $95 for repair at Alpine with warranty, which still makes it cheaper than buying new. The Clarion DRZ9255, or Alpine/Pioneer external processor setups, are the top choices, but are expensive.

Amps
Very simple, you want good clean power and long-term reliability. Zed Audio amps are designed by Stephen Mantz who's been around forever. Regulated power, so it's around the same output at idle or cruising speed. Actual output is more than rated. Extensive crossovers, good quality components, and big case to keep it cool. Range, $200-$400 direct from http://www.zedaudio.com

Speakers
Well, this depends on budget and how many amps you can install. You can keep it simple and run a single 4ch amp, with the fronts powering a set of 6.5" components, and the rears bridged running a sub/s. Or you can go with a couple of amps and build a nice DIY active 2-way or 3-way frontstage, plus sub. Range, $200-$800.

Sub/s
I bought a single 12" Image Dynamics IDQv2 sub because it is known as one of the best SQ subs ever built. I wasn't looking for loud output, but it will pound your chest if and when desired. Stand-up bass is amazing. Paired with my Oz components, you can hear the fingers pluck the strings while feeling the results. There are a few high-output 6.5" or 8" options if you want to go with a couple of smaller subs. RE mentioned above, Elemental Designs has a new 7" coming out soon, Adire Koda 8", etc.

Door dampening is a must for SQ.

I mentioned all this, because simply replacing your door speakers running on the stock HU will not give you what you want. You may only have the money for a decent set of 5x7 speakers for now, but this info gives you an idea of what you can do down the road.

So, what's your total budget?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That's alot of info. I guess that I should have been a little more specific about the bass sound. I used to play drums in a band so I want to hear the bass drum punch, not the bass like on rap albums. Just the quick thud and that's it. I'm not looking to go crazy nuts with a sytem, just good sound.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
639 Posts
im also a musician and i know exactly what you are talking about. i have the infinity reference 6x8s in my car, and i absolutely love the tweeters in them. but the bass is a different story. it sounds good up to a certain volume, but after that, the highs take over too loud, and the bass just gets a little distorted. not a lot of distortion, but i can notice it and i dont like it. fortunatly for me, i have 2 12" subs in the trunk, so my bass end is taken care of. i run a high pass filter of -6db on the infinity's, so they dont get too much bass. but with my subs on i cant even feel them hit anyways

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I am also a musician :) and know what you are talkinga bout. you can get subs but it is all about the tunning, my friend has 2 soulerbaerick (or however you spel them) 16'' subs and I love the quality of ass I mean he has it tunned perfect because he listenes to rock and stuff like that and it is a very nice sound to be able to hear the bass hit...If you get subs just get them tuned rite for your style of music...

·
Registered
726 Posts
To be honest get a 10" sub, and some Infinity Speakers. Prolly be enough for what you wanna do. Wont be too much bass and with a 10" speaker the bass will be very clean.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am not a musician but a music junkie, I like my music true. I have Infinity Kappa 5x7's. I listend to the reference series did not like them. As far as the Kappa's, they are perfect. I run them off a stock headunit. The bass is tight and clean and the highs are crisp and bright. The mids are a little slouchy but that could be easily resolved with a new HU. as far as the bass, when you crank it up you will feel it in your seat. If you are not looking to spend alot of money I would check thes out. They drop right into the fronts, but the steel in the back needs a little work to make them fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts