Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for wheel paint what should I get and where do I find it?

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Up at any automotive store there's paint specifically for wheels. Also clear coat. The clear coat is tough stuff, but I have to warn you about using too thick of coat at once because it will fog up and turn white. Any clear would do that really but this stuff seems extra prone to it. Definitely use a lot of light coats.

Just make sure the surface is super clean. And apply the clear within 15 minutes of color.

I'm trying to find exactly what I would use....

Found it....the stuff in this pic is exactly it. I love that clear coat. I used it for my center caps on my wheels since they're plastic and couldn't have it powder coated. It's held up exceptionally for the past year now.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
well painting in a can is a easy thing, but what about painting with a spray gun... what kind of paint are we lookin at with that?

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Dupli-Color paint holds up well as does the clear coat. BUT, check out the color to see if the clear coat changes it any. Try a small area on the inside of the wheel. I used their silver on my '91 Bronco 2 wheels and it turned the silver to a mag color when I applied the clear coat. As mag was my second choice, I was OK with it. Every time I cleaned the wheels, they looked brand new.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
^^good point. I've had that happen to me several times with any kind of clear coat.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I do have a paint gun. Is the Spray cans just as good?

I plan on doing Gloss Black, so the clear coat shouldnt really affect that color correct?

And by "any Auto Store" we are talking about advanced Auto, Auto Zone, Oreily's ect...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
focusguy81, let me know how ur wheel goes with the blck, and what kind of paint you used,,,, i gota fix up these svt wheels... and then spray em.

-----

when replacing or respraying the wheels, should i strip down the old paint?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't think so. Just sand the surface so the new paint has something to stick to.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
be nice if there is a how to?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys worked great.

Still have to put the clear coat on, and put the center caps back in.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red pin stripe after the last coat of black. LET IT CURE FOR 48HRS.

Then do your clear coat over that to protect everything. (I am doing three coats)

Pic coming tomorrow of the wheels on the car.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I did my last coat, letting it cure and should put them on tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
nice! exactly what i want to do to my stock svt's. i want mine gloss black to match my cars paint. im just scared to rattle can them because every rattle can black even gloss is always semi gloss at best after its sprayed.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here they are:

Yes the car is dirty, no it isnt running now. So no drive to the wash yet.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice! exactly what i want to do to my stock svt's. i want mine gloss black to match my cars paint. im just scared to rattle can them because every rattle can black even gloss is always semi gloss at best after its sprayed.
Id say that is gloss black.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
damn, looks really good, now all that is needed is to wash the car, im sure it will look great once its all nice and shiny too.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
damn, looks really good, now all that is needed is to wash the car, im sure it will look great once its all nice and shiny too.
Yes, but its too cold to do it by hand, and I have to wait till I get my new Turbo in to drive it to the wash.

She will get a good cleaning here soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts