Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheels have wore down in the last year. No curbing or anything, just rock chips and marks from over 35,000 miles of use. Apparently the finish on the TD1s is not the most durable. Actually I think it is paint and not powdercoating.

I scratched inside the lip of one of the spokes while trying to clean it. A rock embedded in some tar came loose on the cloth and scratched the lip when I was wiping it down. Anyways, I took some Meguiar's scratch remover and used my Dremel with a polishing wheel to remove the scratch. It removed the scratch, but it also removed some of the paint in one area. :eek: Not exactly a durable "powdercoat" finish if you ask me. Thank god I had some touch up paint.

Soo.....I was thinking of having my wheels powdercoated. More durable finish and it would renew the look of the wheels. They look fine right now, but up close you can see some of the wear, and I'm a picky S.O.B. [:D]

So I did this chop with a color I was thinking of doing. First, here's the original, and older picture from October of last year:

And here's the chop:

I did not color the wheels, these are actual Bronze TD1s that I chopped from another car.

So, what do you think? Should I go with the bronze, powdercoat the same color again, or is there any other suggestion for a color to use?

Right now the color is "Hi-Power Silver" which almost has a chrome look to it. I was a little surprised when I got the wheels last year because I am not a chrome fan, but I have grown to like the wheels in that time, however I am always up for something different..........

Suggestions?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I like the bronze much better, go for it!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, and before ANYONE mentions it.......NO, I won't powdercoat the wheels RED to match Sonic's shoes. [rofl]

·
Registered
607 Posts
i am not a fan of bronze wheels it looks very subish (meant like Subaru STIs)

as i know you have silver colored stripes at sides dont you have now? blue car+ silver stripes + bronze wheels ??? NOOOOO!!

IMO ur rims should only be same color with your stripes...

if you get rid of the stripes than white rims look very nice on blue cars...

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can EASILY get the stripe done again to match the wheels if I wanted. The vinyl shop I use is here in town. Or I could also remove the stripe.

I love white whels, but on white or red cars. Not a huge fan on blue cars. White would also be a PAIN to keep clean.

To me gold is more "Subyish" since you can get an STi stock with gold wheels.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the bronze looks good...[thumb]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
yeah you're rim color right now goes very well with your car. you have the light colored wheels with the clear corners which looks really good. if i was going to change the color i'd make them gunmetal or even black to go with the grill and black headlights. or leave them the same and purchase some hid's to go with the chrome-ish scheme you got going on right now.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Maybe you should have made a poll of this. Youre right, gold is more like the subaru's. Look at the first rims i put on the svt in my gallery, that looks more like the subaru color.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't want a poll, I wanted actual input with reasons behind people's decisions. I am not 100% set on the bronze, it's just the first color that I had in mind. I have thought about other colors too.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Stutter there? lol

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
If everything goes as i am planning, i will have the Kazera KZ-B's in bronze on mine pretty soon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
IMO gold and bronze are quite close... at the photo u put with bronze rims it seems very close to gold...

whatever... gunmetal may also be good but blue is a quite dark color and + gunmetal car will be too dark IMO...

IMO for a last thing it s perfect match with the light gray rims+ur stripes+ur blue focus ;)

·
here and there
23,092 Posts
I like the current color. From a distance the bronze can just look like your wheels are dirty .. especially with such a bright blue. To me bronze looks better with greens, golds, browns, and darker blues. Not so great with Sonic Blue.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
These are the "gold" FRPP ones:

And the Kazera's above are a totally different color.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
The bronze looks good. What about gunmetal? Just throwing out suggestions.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Ataru said:
Oh, and before ANYONE mentions it.......NO, I won't powdercoat the wheels RED to match Sonic's shoes. [rofl]

damn i didnt think about that. how about red calipers aka brembos? it would be a suttle touch. but either way it looks good on your car, teh gold looks good but it seems to be a trend lately. i would go with the silver to match your vinals on the side.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
bronze looks good IMO, white sometimes looks cool too, like on the rally cars, but it REALLY sticks out and is too much for alot of ppl

1 - 20 of 42 Posts