Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an 06 ST and I'm unsure as to what direction to take. I drive for a living so reliability and warranty are of utmost importance. My fiance is a service mgr for a ford dealership so I have a bit of wiggle room on the warranty issue. Right now I'm leaning toward the Marcy Motorsports CAI, Borla 2.5 catback exhaust and those copper plugs everyone is talking about. I'm in Ohio so smog isn't an issue, but I would like whatever I do to be easy to undo just in case our politicians throw us a smog curveball. I am also intrested in Mr Marcy's future intake manifold and the stage 1 cams. Suspension wise, I am looking at either the eibach pro or svt with stock dampers. I do not plan to go up in wheel size, but I may upgrade to 215/45/16s on a 16x7 or 7.5 wheel. Down the road I might do gears, torsen, clutch, and lightened flywheel.Any comments, ideas, or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That's sounds like a perfect list. I'd also throw in a balance shaft delete as it removes mass that is rotated by the crank and in my experience doesn't really affect vibrations external to the motor and perceived by the driver. IMHO it was actually smoother. You are also able to run another quart of oil over stock, more oil is definitely a good thing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aero, I've been wondering about that.

·
Registered
859 Posts
aero_student said:
That's sounds like a perfect list. I'd also throw in a balance shaft delete as it removes mass that is rotated by the crank and in my experience doesn't really affect vibrations external to the motor and perceived by the driver. IMHO it was actually smoother. You are also able to run another quart of oil over stock, more oil is definitely a good thing.
Sounds like a perfect list to me too!

Last week I did the MM BS delete and I have noticed a marked increase in vibration. Maybe some of these D3.2L's have better internal balancing than others?

The week before the BS delete I switched to the Autolite 104's and my ST made power sooooth as silk. Now you can feel it vib a idle by putting your hand on the dash and also a bit in the steering wheel and gas pedal. Worst is the clutch -- If I leave my foot on it much longer than normal it starts to tickle my foot!

I am acutally quite torn. Sometimes I miss that almost liquid smooth power delivery! Yet othertimes its as if I am actually feeling the real engine, as if I've awakend a bit of monster. And it's telling me "see I am alive -- please feed me -- feed me intake, cams and exhaust -- set me FREE!"

Oh well, my main motivation for doing the MM BS delete was to gain the extra quart of oil capacity, so I guess I'll stick with it for now. If anyone has any hints or tips or thinks I've missed (or messed-up) something please let me know!!

Also, FWIW the MM BS Delete kit is still on sale at just $19 (Special pricing ends October 31, 2006).

·
Registered
440 Posts
you wont void your warrenty enless the part you put on your car proves 100% that it was the reason of why you need warrenty work. i got cai, exhaust, tune and tb and havent voided mine. only real time theyll void it is if you put internals in it and still if you get ford to put them in for you they wont void it. put if you put your cai on wrong and it causes your motor to blow then yes warrent wont cover it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2nd_to_none said:
you wont void your warrenty enless the part you put on your car proves 100% that it was the reason of why you need warrenty work. i got cai, exhaust, tune and tb and havent voided mine. only real time theyll void it is if you put internals in it and still if you get ford to put them in for you they wont void it. put if you put your cai on wrong and it causes your motor to blow then yes warrent wont cover it.
My fiance is a service mgr for ford and I assure you, it is not that cut and dry.

·
Registered
440 Posts
well im thankfull for my place lol cuz ive never had a problem thank god. ive had some warrteny work dont with all my mods and all they ask is how does the car fell and stuff. but when i was in FL i broke my bushing to my tranny and they said it was the CAI fault cuz of where it was positioned and i gave them a big old FU. needless to say they fixed it for free anyways but i geuss its just all in where you go IMO

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2nd_to_none said:
well im thankfull for my place lol cuz ive never had a problem thank god. ive had some warrteny work dont with all my mods and all they ask is how does the car fell and stuff. but when i was in FL i broke my bushing to my tranny and they said it was the CAI fault cuz of where it was positioned and i gave them a big old FU. needless to say they fixed it for free anyways but i geuss its just all in where you go IMO
The individual dealership has a LOT to do with it. The bad ones don't want to do warranty work due to the lower labor rate. The good ones know that if they are good to their customers and get everything warrantied they can, it will pay off in the long run with higher volume, not to mention that when said vehicle is out of warranty, the customer will still bring the vehicle in at the non warranty rate because they TRUST them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd be a bit careful, a guy I know had his M3's warranty voided because they claimed his CAI voids warranty since it forces more air into the engine than it was designed or some crap along those lines.

Naturally, we're stuck with German dealers and service centers but I'd double check before putting anything in.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It does depend on the problem. I took mine in for a clutch issue recently, and asked the service manager if my CAI and exhaust would void the warranty. He said it depended on what the problem was. For example, if the clutch disc was disintegrated, or if a spring had come loose from the disc- then Ford would say that the extra power caused by the aftermarket parts was at fault. However, if it was a bad master cylinder, then that would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
that list looks good. but i dont know about the BS delete. if i could go back in time i would have not done it. perhaps my lower engine mount give more vibration but still i think its not worth it. vibration is the issue with me and raid quality

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
y2kpedo said:
that list looks good. but i dont know about the BS delete. if i could go back in time i would have not done it. perhaps my lower engine mount give more vibration but still i think its not worth it. vibration is the issue with me and raid quality
RAID!!! [xx(] Kills bugs dead!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts