Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on my stock Continental tires after five years, and they still have a decent amount of tread on them... but they are looking a little cracked around the letters and the edge of the tread. After 55k miles and five years, I think I'm ready to replace them [hihi]

I've been looking around and think these might do they trick: EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 - SIZE: 215/55ZR16. I'm not 100% certain about how the sizes work, but I'm going to read more before I buy. Has anyone used this specific tire before, or have any complaints about Continental in general? I figured I'd stick with them since my first tires seemed pretty good over the past five years.

Once I get some new tires, I'll show if my freshly painted calipers [giddy]

·
Registered
494 Posts
They're probably the best all-around all-season tires you're going to get. The sidewalls are super mushy but you may not notice the soft sidewalls coming from your OEM continentals.

Traction in dry is pretty decent (again, for an all-season.) Given the soft sidewalls, you're not going to be Sienna but they hold their own in dry traction. The DWS06 will out perform a lot of other A/S tires in standing water as well.

Snow traction is where these things shine when compared to other A/S. Light snow and slush you'll be fine as long as you have adequate tread (I think the general rule is no less than 8/32" for snow among any tire category.) Their tread is very similar to the Michelin Alpin PA3s.

All-in-all, you'll find them better in all categories compared your current continentals.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been very happy with the General AltiMAX RT43 I put on our Focus. Ended up being about $118 per tire (after MIR) out the door from Discount. It might just be in my head, but I feel like they handle better, and they're just as quiet (if not a little quieter).

I like them enough that I put the same tires on our Escape.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve gone thru 2 sets of those Conti DWS and they are fantastic! Never have had any issues. Snow traction is great for it not being a dedicated snow tire.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went with the true contact contis. Happy after one winter and 10k. Much better snow traction than the stock pro contacts. Not as good handling, seems to have a little more wiggle when pushed. Thought about the extreme contacts but wanted the better tread life and snow traction.
Ive become a big conti fan, usually stick with Michelins, but contis seem to last and are great tires.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I have 06 and have for the last 20,000 miles and the sidewalls are not super mushy and actually have surprising amount of grip and control at least on my car and I drive it hard time to time. They have been predictable in the wet but much more than a little snow they aren't so great and better options if you have to see real snow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the Northeast around Philly - we get snow, but it's only usually a couple of inches. I end up driving in rain and the messy slushy stuff more often than packed down or deep snow. Maybe the extreme contact are a bit much? I have slid a copper of times on my current Continentals; but nothing uncontrollable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've liked the TrueContacts on my wife's Compass, and almost got the Altimax RT43 for my Focus (General is part of Continental, FWIW). Found a deal on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus and am very pleased with how well they help the car corner. According to Tire Rack's testing, all of these will do well in a climate like PA. Haven't really tested any of them in snow, since I run Blizzak WS80s up here in NH during the winter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been very happy with the General AltiMAX RT43 I put on our Focus. Ended up being about $118 per tire (after MIR) out the door from Discount. It might just be in my head, but I feel like they handle better, and they're just as quiet (if not a little quieter).

I like them enough that I put the same tires on our Escape.
I too use the Altimax RT43s. Great winter traction but not noisy. I have them on all four of our vehicles, three Focus and a Kia Sedona van...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I have 06 and have for the last 20,000 miles and the sidewalls are not super mushy and actually have surprising amount of grip and control at least on my car and I drive it hard time to time. They have been predictable in the wet but much more than a little snow they aren't so great and better options if you have to see real snow.
This^^^ + Continental reforced/stiffened the sidewalls of the 06 vs the 1st gen dws.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for the DWS06. I'm on my second set on my 15 Ti and my son is also on his second set on his 13SE.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I actually went to buy the ExtremeContact DWS 06s (I know... long delay....), and I noticed that TireRack was warning me:

Important Note: The tire selected is for a smaller diameter wheel than what is installed as Original Equipment. Be sure to select tires to match the diameter of the wheel currently installed on the vehicle. Read More About Minus Sizing
Is there something I should be worried about, and should I expect these to fit on my existing rims?

Currently I have, from initial vehicle purchase, 215/55R16 93H tires, and the rims (per the sticker in the door jamb) are 16x7.0J. I really don't want to change the rims out as well, and just want to get some new tires... The DWS 06 tires are listed as 215/55ZR16, which I thought were able to be installed on the same rims I have... but the warning is making me nervous. Any advice before I purchase?

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I actually went to buy the ExtremeContact DWS 06s (I know... long delay....), and I noticed that TireRack was warning me:

Is there something I should be worried about, and should I expect these to fit on my existing rims?

Currently I have, from initial vehicle purchase, 215/55R16 93H tires, and the rims (per the sticker in the door jamb) are 16x7.0J. I really don't want to change the rims out as well, and just want to get some new tires... The DWS 06 tires are listed as 215/55ZR16, which I thought were able to be installed on the same rims I have... but the warning is making me nervous. Any advice before I purchase?
You may have picked the wrong trim package on the site. It probably just thinks you have the 17" wheels on the car for some reason, the tire size you posted will fit your 16x7's

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts

They are the same size and should fit no problem.
The optional wheels for your car were 215/50/r17 with the appearence package if i remember correctly.
The warning is probably because the new tires are z rated and your stock continentals arent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts