Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a nice scan tool, and even thought my MIL was not on, the computer had P0217 saved in memory, which is defined by Ford as P0217 - Engine Coolant Over-Temperature Condition.

There are a few other members on the forums/bobistheoilguy who have said they have a slow coolant leak. Mine leaks about 4-8 ounces every 3 months, roughly. This is my tank, and I've topped it off 2x in the last 12 months. I know some members also see a beige/tan gunk in their coolant tank+overflow cap.

I've taken the Focus to the dealership 2x, they've pressure tested it 2x, but are still unable to locate the leak.

Has anybody else experienced this, or gotten it resolved at their dealership?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That kind of looks like "milkshake" -- oil in the coolant. Or is milkshake coolant in the oil?

Pull your oil dipstick, hopefully all you see is oil. Ditto for oil filler cap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replace my oil 100 miles ago, didn't see anything unusual in the drain pan. In retrospect I wish I had taken a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs. There is a company called Herguth Labs who will I'll send some coolant to as well.

Still interested to hear if anybody has experienced this, and had the issue resolved, if any.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I just replace my oil 100 miles ago, didn't see anything unusual in the drain pan. In retrospect I wish I had taken a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs. There is a company called Herguth Labs who will I'll send some coolant to as well.

Still interested to hear if anybody has experienced this, and had the issue resolved, if any.
It is a very common issue with the MK3. Some have had pinhole leaks in their radiator and they were replaced under the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Many forum members, including myself, have a coolant level that stays below the minimum line even if you top it off. There are no leaks in my system, that's just where the coolant level stays. The coolant level will drop below the minimum line and then stay there and not drop any further.

You can have your system pressure tested to be sure but more than lilely you do not have a leak. Your system is just dumping excess coolant. Forget the factory line for minimum coolant level. Just mark a new line and keep an eye on it and make sure it does not drop any further.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just had to have my radiator replaced. It sprung a leak on the lower left portion..... And its not covered under the 5yr 60k mile warranty.....so I'm out almost 700$..... Not happy at all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a very common issue with the MK3. Some have had pinhole leaks in their radiator and they were replaced under the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Many forum members, including myself, have a coolant level that stays below the minimum line even if you top it off. There are no leaks in my system, that's just where the coolant level stays. The coolant level will drop below the minimum line and then stay there and not drop any further.

You can have your system pressure tested to be sure but more than lilely you do not have a leak. Your system is just dumping excess coolant. Forget the factory line for minimum coolant level. Just mark a new line and keep an eye on it and make sure it does not drop any further.
Thanks for the response. But I'm still left wondering about the P0217 code and beige gunk in the tank. Could you tell me if you're experiencing either of those?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Posts #64 and 68 sum up all of the coolant issues I've seen:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306659&page=7

Basically, when this coolant gets air into the lines (while hot) the aluminum instantly oxidizes. So in a perfect world, there's nothing wrong with OAT coolant but if your car is under warranty and the manufacturer can't find the problem, you're pretty much driving a time bomb. That gunk is either flakes of your engine or the coolant itself is just gumming up because of the air or something - I'm a mechanical engineer, not a chemist. lol

Find the leak and get your coolant flushed/replaced. If you look at my post of pH of my coolant, it had dropped significantly so I don't think it was very effective at that point.

EDIT: Other MK3 coolant issue threads:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314034
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278963
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300375

For the P0217, I'd say it could be that the gunk is causing issues with other components (water pump, radiator, ECT sensor, etc.) but it's probably just that the leak is lowering the pressure of the system which lowers the boiling point making the system less effective.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I recently got a nice scan tool, and even thought my MIL was not on, the computer had P0217 saved in memory, which is defined by Ford as P0217 - Engine Coolant Over-Temperature Condition.

There are a few other members on the forums/bobistheoilguy who have said they have a slow coolant leak. Mine leaks about 4-8 ounces every 3 months, roughly. This is my tank, and I've topped it off 2x in the last 12 months. I know some members also see a beige/tan gunk in their coolant tank+overflow cap.

I've taken the Focus to the dealership 2x, they've pressure tested it 2x, but are still unable to locate the leak...
I want to look into this further. Can you please let me know your mileage?

Meagan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just posted about this happening in my Titanium 2012 hatchback, here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6772121#post6772121

I realized the problem when I was having a garage sale. I had parked my car in the driveway, and was sitting around next to it waiting for customers, when I suddenly noticed my car making rumbling/seizing noises and shaking slightly. While it was off. This went on for over a minute. I've never seen anything like it. I popped the hood and saw the coolant level way down. no engine lights of any kind. So I booked it into the dealer asap, where it sits today. The dealer identified a coolant leak into the pistons and is in the process of taking stuff apart to learn more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts