Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Ok so after a year of having some crane cams sit on my floor in the box(stage-1) Me and my nephew finally got the time to install. Install went smooth, my nephew did it. So funny to he's in Palmdale Ca, a bolt stripped on him so he goes to this performance shop up there and runs into Walter Marcy. He called me after their conversation saying "guess who I just met"

Anyway, the performance increase is well worth the year wait, total mods on the car is AEM CAI, Magna-Flow catback exhaust, the cams, eibach springs and sway bars.

So my question. We have notice a tapping noise from the engine bay, its there hot or cold engine, increases not in loudness so much but in rythm with RPM increase, at idle it is in sync with the tempo or timing of the engine if I am explaining this clearly. If I rev the engine to increase RPM the tapping increase in speed also. then settles down to match idle. I do not feel any decrease in performance when driving and have a smooth power increase all the way up RPM range.

Again these are Stage 1 cams, (ken cranes) with stock springs still in. Any suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
piston slap maybe? does it clear up at all when the engine gets warmer? tho that doesnt seem very likely.....rocker arms need adjusted? that might cause a tapping noise if they need to be re-adjusted or are adjusted wrong. also i dont think you would have overlooked this but check the oil....ive had things tap/tick/ding when oil pressure dropped on older vehicles....but hey these are just suggestions....i could be way off. just what i would think of.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
drive about a week and hit us with your gas mileage. you might need to get a tune.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
ya I got the same problem but, I think it maybe the timing chian slpping arround or something. My car has done it from day one and I never really worried about it. but good question I would like to know too.uhmmm?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
well... sinse the fuel injectors are noisey to begin with, and then now your introduce cams into the engine, they are working harder and passing more fuel, so i would say an increase in a tapping/ticking noise would be in order.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well... sinse the fuel injectors are noisey to begin with, and then now your introduce cams into the engine, they are working harder and passing more fuel, so i would say an increase in a tapping/ticking noise would be in order.
I have been reading more and more about the loudness of the fuel injectors. I never really noticed it before, always listening to music or listening to the exhaust when I was punching it. So after the cams went in I was telling my nephew that maybe human nature makes us listen harder to the area that was just modded to see if install was ok, so now I am hearing something that always been there just more pronounced now.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Get a automotive stethascope from harbor frieght. Its like maybe $10. The end of it has a long metal probe and you just put it against the engine where you think the noise is coming from, when you found the loudest point then thats where your noise is coming from. I use mine whenever I have a weird noise, works great, its really good to tell if your water pump is going out.

I was thinking injectors also.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Did you measure the clearance between the cam lobes and the buckets?

rocker arms need adjusted? that might cause a tapping noise if they need to be re-adjusted or are adjusted wrong.
Rocker arms are dead. [;)] (We don't have them. The camshafts directly operates the valves)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
These engines are WAY noisy stock, so i'd imagine it just brings out the noises a lil more. A tune might help u out though... Good luck[thumb] and [welcome]

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
ya I got the same problem but, I think it maybe the timing chian slpping arround or something. My car has done it from day one and I never really worried about it. but good question I would like to know too.uhmmm?
Does your car make this sound louder at WOT? Could it be a byproduct of your lean tune?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
was everything well-oiled when you did the cams? my old car had an issue with the rocker arms, and the cams would make noise if not enough oil/the oil was dirty. i switched to a heavier synthetic, and it was fine. wondering if, since they sat there for a year, the time had an affect on them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would do what N2O Focus said above. Get an automotive stethascope and locate the noise.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
was everything well-oiled when you did the cams? my old car had an issue with the rocker arms, and the cams would make noise if not enough oil/the oil was dirty. i switched to a heavier synthetic, and it was fine. wondering if, since they sat there for a year, the time had an affect on them.
Did that old car have hydrolyic lifters? My 66 Mustang I used to have would tick when the oil was getting old; after a change, it was nice and quiet.

Kinda nice not having to worry about lifters on the Duratec.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yes it did, and it was a pita. no adj. either. you had a problem, you need a whole new assembly. i hated that.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
Does your car make this sound louder at WOT? Could it be a byproduct of your lean tune?
no it has done it from day one and even at idle. even before I got a tune. I think honhon's rite when he suggested the injector's that make sense to me but I will get a stehascope to find the exact location. from the sound of it it's comming from that area any way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My nephew oiled and geased them well. When i open hood with car running it appears the noise is coming from the from left side of the engine or the exhaust cam side towards the gear. I ordered a stethoscope, should have it in a few days, will also post some pics.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
you could be hearing the timing chain rubbing against the tensioner as it goes down to the crank pulley...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts