Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've had my 2012 SEL hatchback for about 4 years and I'm looking at moving to an ST. My budget has me looking at the 2013 or 2014 model years. Are there any glaring mechanical issues with the 2013s or 2014s?

w/ my magic bag
Main thing to look for is what mods are on any yr st.....All the drivetrains are the same thru the yrs. I wouldn't want a car that had a tune w/ the boost cranked up & then the PO removed it & didn't mention it. Mods would depend on what you'd do. If it had a Quaife, d/p, intake w/ a mild tune as thats what I'd be doing. Miles vs cost difference you have to figure out & then color & whether its a st1, 2 or 3 your looking for. You'll notice some colors are deleted or changed thru the yrs. btw have you priced out new cars? Plus open up your search radius too.

So mote be it
Nothing really mechanical related, whatever car you are interested in just search its vin to see if any recalls are outstanding. 2013's and i believe 2014s had recalls for an engine wire splice, headlight on ST3 (side indicator not wired up, no biggie,) reflash bcm so you cant open the rear hatch while moving and a door latch issue (possibly not be able to close/latch the doors.) Those are all simple fixes from Ford that some could have ignored/never experienced.

Powertrain/suspension are all fine. 13's and some early 14's had smaller front brakes (with super dusty pads) but easy to swap to later brakes or RS Brembo brakes. Smaller brakes clear 16" wheels, convenient if you want to run smaller wheels for winter or you already have a spare set from your '12.

I have an early '13 ST3, has had no issues related to Ford; all recalls done. Love the seats, not everyone likes them though. I would say find the lowest miles for your budget. Compare prices of the 13-14's vs slightly used 15-17 vs new with rebates. Might not be that big of a gap if you increase your radius

Registered
If you can afford the payments get a leftover. Plenty of ford promo deals going on. Financing pretty much guaranteed through ford credit.

Registered
If you鈥檙e looking at 2013-2014 models, it would be best to look for a CPO car, that why you have some sort of extended warranty. I like the 2015 & up ST because of the new body style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I could've gotten a 2018 ST1 for under $20,300 this last spring but my wife was like wtf?
She's fine having no car payments for a while.

Registered
I could've gotten a 2018 ST1 for under $20,300 this last spring but my wife was like wtf?
She's fine having no car payments for a while.

The lowest I鈥檝e seen in SoCal is about 20.5k for an ST1. But recently the prices seem to be hovering around 21k. The used prices are what crack me up. I鈥檓 often times seeing used ST鈥檚 priced higher than 21-22k for a base ST1 & often wonder what the point of buying a used ST1 would be? IMO, if the 2018s are 20-22k, then the 鈥16-17鈥檚 should be in the 16-17k range.

w/ my magic bag
The lowest I鈥檝e seen in SoCal is about 20.5k for an ST1. But recently the prices seem to be hovering around 21k. The used prices are what crack me up. I鈥檓 often times seeing used ST鈥檚 priced higher than 21-22k for a base ST1 & often wonder what the point of buying a used ST1 would be? IMO, if the 2018s are 20-22k, then the 鈥16-17鈥檚 should be in the 16-17k range.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Yea that is kinda funny/weird......I've been checking out prices of other cars & found that quite a few ppl got about 1/2 off from new when they were a few yrs old & the prices are climbing back up now for those same cars.

Registered
I traded in my 2016 focus se hatch for a 2017 focus ST and I have no regrets. I love my ST. What helped me make my decision was that the dealership was having their summer sales event and had the price reduced to $19,999 for a kona blue st1 package with no extra options. Originally the price was somewhere between 22k-23k.

w/ my magic bag
ST1 is a very good option. Friends, I want to buy a comfortable car for joint family trips to other regions. Our car for this has ceased to be comfortable after the birth of the second baby. What option can you advise? Where better to make a purchase? Recently, By the way, Looked after Hyundai Verna https://autoportal.com/newcars/hyundai/new-verna/ What do you think about it?
Really no comparison to a st....

Registered
ST1 is a very good option. Friends, I want to buy a comfortable car for joint family trips to other regions. Our car for this has ceased to be comfortable after the birth of the second baby. What option can you advise? Where better to make a purchase? Recently, By the way, Looked after Hyundai Verna https://autoportal.com/newcars/hyundai/new-verna/ What do you think about it?

I mean it鈥檚 a nice little commuter car that likely gets great MPG & is cheap on insurance however there鈥檚 no comparison between that & a Focus ST performance car. It just depends on what you鈥檙e looking for.

w/ my magic bag
I mean it鈥檚 a nice little commuter car that likely gets great MPG & is cheap on insurance however there鈥檚 no comparison between that & a Focus ST performance car. It just depends on what you鈥檙e looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Thats a weird compro to cross shop.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts