Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought a 2003 focus zx3 with the stock stereo and im looking to put in a aftermarket stereo... first off (correct me if im wrong) its a 1.5 din stereo slot and i would like to use all of it aka not drop down to a single din and put in an adapter. is there any nice (preferably touch screen) 1.5 din stereos you guys know of or is there a way to upgrade to a double din thanks for your help

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Moving this to a better section

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Correct, it is a 1.5din, but the good news is that a double-din will fit with minor modification. (there are a few tutorials here, just use the search function).

Just note that it is a tight fit. If you plan on getting a double-din that has a moving face, it may not work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
1.5 din aftermarket head units went the way of the dodo bird 7-8 years ago. Just not enough market for a unit that's exactly the same as it's single din counterpart, which can be installed in the same place.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
1.5 din aftermarket head units went the way of the dodo bird 7-8 years ago. Just not enough market for a unit that's exactly the same as it's single din counterpart, which can be installed in the same place.
Not sure what you mean by exactly the same as a single-din counterpart.. The 1.5 din is much closer to the double-din in dimensions.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Not sure what you mean by exactly the same as a single-din counterpart.. The 1.5 din is much closer to the double-din in dimensions.
Same in terms of features. The aftermarket 1.5din units were just like the single dins in a larger chassis. None of them had touchscreen, DVD playback, etc.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Same in terms of features. The aftermarket 1.5din units were just like the single dins in a larger chassis. None of them had touchscreen, DVD playback, etc.

Ford's version of 1.5din is different:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think you might be missing the point I was making. I simply said aftermarket manufacturers quit making 1.5din head units because there wasn't a large market for them. And for what market there was, those folks could just use the equivalent single din head unit and not really sacrifice anything in terms of features/usability. My comment wasn't Focus specific. OP can cram whatever he'd like in there. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright then anyone got a place i can find a 1.5 din touchscreen headunit?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright so i found a Deck i like and i need help figureing out if i can put it in my foci w/o cutting anything... idc if i have to cut up an adapter but just wondering if i can make it fit... its a Boss Audio BV8974B

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also what size speakers are stock in the first gen focus? Just pulled apart my inside and found 6 1/2" speakers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts