Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I have a 2005 MK2. A month ago some spring broke inside the driver's seat, now the support s asymmetrical, my side touches against metal frame through the upholstery and a spring can be felt on the rear side over the pockets.

I found some salvaged ones, but they are not the same color. Also I've contacted people that work with upholstery and they haven't called or written back (typical Spanish).

I may attempt to fix it myself, but I'm afraid of ripping the upholstery or being unable to put it back. I have been looking for instructions on the internet, but all of them are about replacing the whole seat or taking the old upholstery apart by destroying it and installing a new one.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Regards.

·
Registered
16,032 Posts
I have had an earlier one completely apart. The seat back is NOT supported by hinge on both sides, only one if you can imagine that. On the driver side of car (outboard if driver seat). The other side simply follows the whole seat back and why they break the seat backs into pieces, the lack of support on BOTH sides. You should be able to get to the movable hinge without tearing entire seat apart, but I went deeper as the seat back was cracking and breaking up in 3-4 places to allow the inboard side to fall way back out of parallel with the other side of seat. The foam was tearing into pieces as well, I patched all back together into one whole piece by using 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Every junkyard seat I found was worse than mine and I found like 30 of them. The seats are crap once you get inside them and hard to see how they go as long as they do with no breakage.

You have to remove the entire seat before you can get the side covers off needed to get to the hinge works. You will likely need to pull some hog rings loose too and take note of where they go to replace them properly.

When done welding the cracking up I put mine back together and it's been fine for some 6-7 years now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts