Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that "Budget" and car modding don't mix, especially when it comes to important aspects of the car such as suspension. However, thats the way it has to be right now. Currently my car has ~62k miles and the suspension is getting weary. One of the struts creaks and i've already replaced both end links with i guess is pretty common.

I had a manager of a local mechanic shop install lowering springs for me. He did the front first and then moved to the back. However he couldnt get the new springs to fit into the control arm after taking the stockers out. So0o0o i've been riding around for the past few months with those idiotic ebay coilovers and damn does the back of that car bounce lol. Got them from a buddy for $10 since i didnt have the cash for new control arms then.

I'm looking at 2 different kits right now. 1 is dropzone, all i've heard about them is p.o.s and cheap. Only thing that drew me to them was the statement "designed for lowered cars." The second more reputable kit are the kyb gr-2's. There was another kit on ebay somewhere and i cant find it now but it was a ford racing damper kit or something, wich i could find the page...

The lowering springs that I have are grey-progress brand and lower the car approx 1-1.5". I realize that the gr-2's arent meant for lowering springs but how much will it shorten their lifespan? Would it cause failure of the strut/shock?

I cant afford Tien's or Eibach kit's and i really need new struts/shocks soon. I'd really like to use the new springs that i have. Thanks for the help

Also quick question: You know how 2 springs are long and skinny and 2 are short and fat? Which goes where? Because the guy put the long skinny ones up front(lowering springs) but the stock front springs are short and fat...

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
is it a coilover kit?? cause if not, the long skinny ones go in back, and the fatter ones go around the strut.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not a coilover kit. So i guess its correct. Thanks for the info

And I cant afford the kyb agx's, thats y i was looking at the kyb gt-2's. Can the gt-2's handle the drop?

·
Registered
401 Posts
contact mike at hilbish, he should be able to get you a set of ford racing shocks and struts for a real good price!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You have a dilemma, A shorter stiffer spring needs a shorter firmer shock. GR2's are intended to be a OEM replacement shock. They're a very good shock but not designed or intended to be used with lowering springs. The cheapest option that MAY work are SVT shocks and struts. They're a little shorter but not a whole lot shorter (SVT springs only reduced ride height by 1/2 inch or so). Spring rates (SVt vs Progress) are fairly comparable so from that standpoint the SVT shock should be OK. Have you thought about just a complete SVT kit (springs, shocks, etc)? It's a great deal and costs less than most shocks alone. The FRPP kit isn't a whole lot more as well. In either case you get matched springs and shocks which is a whole lot better than playing the mixing and matching game.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I run GR-2's with Sportline springs. I got the setup pretty cheap and slightly used and while it's stiff, it's not overly stiff and I love the way it handles. They have approx 20K on them and not a problem yet (knocks on wood) I know it's not ideal but it works great and I plan on upgrading this year to the AGX's or Eibach.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pumpkin SVT how much for your set?

Geezer..thats a great idea about the SVT damper kit i was just worried about fitment. Only kits i can find say they are for the 02-04 svt's. Will they fit my 01 non-svt focus? If not what model year damper kit should i look for. I'm unfamiliar with svt suspension, is it the same..?

svt bmxer, thats good youve had no probs with the setup. If i do go down that road then i know its reasonable

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The Ford Racing kit would be the best for the money. $358 for everything and theyre assembled. 1.5" drop. PM me if you have questions.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
The Ford Racing kit would be the best for the money. $358 for everything and theyre assembled. 1.5" drop. PM me if you have questions.
How do they compare with say the Eibach or H&R kits? I may look into the FRPP kit instead of Eibach.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts