Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2014 Focus SE w/ automatic transmission. Now with winter right around the corner I decided that I wanted to get a remote start for the car to use on those cold days. With so many different versions on the market I'm not sure which one to get? Is there a certain model that any of you would recommend? My price range is $400 or below. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
$400 is more than you should need including professional labor.

Viper has long been thought to be the gold standard for alarms, remote start, keyless entry. I'm also a fan of Compustar. Both companies make several systems in that price range.

But to go off the beaten path here, the newer Focus are capable of getting remote start without an actual remote start brain perse. The XpressKit DBALL2 can be installed and paired up with the XL202 and one of several Viper remote kits (example) to give you remote start. It's what is called a "Remote Start Ready (RSR)" installation. If your installer is not familiar with this installation, turn around and walk out. This is not uncommon by any means. I do probably 20 RSR installs a month during the winter. If you buy the parts online, or make them price-match, the whole thing with labor shouldn't be over $300 tops. See your local installer and have a chat. If you're willing to drive to central OK, I'll do it for you. :)

And just so we're crystal clear, the DBALL (or similar) would still be required for any normal full blown remote start system. So this is cheaper, more full featured (depending on which remote kit you buy) and quite a chunk easier to install.

Lastly, don't allow your installer to sell you on the T-harness for this vehicle. The T-harness USUALLY makes the installation quicker and prevents the installer from cutting into some of your factory wires. However, on the newer Focus, this is not the case. All the connections he/she needs is behind the glove box. So using a T-harness forces installation under the driver's dash and becomes way more of a pain than it's worth. Every single connection he/she needs is at the BCM behind the glovebox.

EDIT: Also, Viper frequently runs this combo deal with a 1-button full remote start system and DBALL packaged together for $199 installed. Don't go for it. It's a good deal for vehicles that aren't RSR capable. But that system is extremely bare bones and has mediocre range. With the remote kit linked above you'll get 3 times the range and 2-way confirmation of the vehicle starting. Probably 50 bucks more than the combo. WAY worth it.

EDIT X2: I also just remembered.... an installer might try to sell you on reusing your factory fob and use 3X lock to trigger remote start. That used to work. You were limited to the factory keyfob range, but it worked. However, Directed just ceased flashing ability for that feature on Sept 30th. So that's not an option with the DBALL anymore.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^Without someone like this who has a clue, don't even do it.

Seen an example of Dealer installed unit for a different Ford, hooked up under the dash, and other Dealers can't figure out what it might have done to the wiring harness.

(MkIII problems section)

·
Registered
4 Posts
And just so we're crystal clear, the DBALL (or similar) would still be required for any normal full blown remote start system. So this is cheaper, more full featured (depending on which remote kit you buy) and quite a chunk easier to install.
I'm pretty sure that functionality is only available on the IA cars? Any non-pushbutton-start vehicles still need the conventional ignition connections, and therefore conventional remote start hardware.

FWIW, idatalink still offers their "RS" firmware for the IA-equipped cars. I used that with the Drone companion on my 2012 Titanium. No fobs to carry around, works with OEM remote, and cell phone when the OEM fob is out of range.

My ST was a totally different story.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Any non-pushbutton-start vehicles still need the conventional ignition connections, and therefore conventional remote start hardware.
Negatory batman. Just the DBALL and remote kit and you're good to go. Pushbutton or not. And if this was done a couple months back, you wouldn't even need the remote kit. Same as FLCAN's RS firmware. Unless I'm misunderstanding exactly what you're quoting of mine?

And yes, if you have an 80-bit key (they may all be in 2014?), you can use the FLCAN w/ RS firmware to get X3 lock remote start functionality. You'd be limited by the factory keyfob range, but it'll work. As you said, you can pair it up with Drone, but then you're paying an annual fee every year. I also don't like having to pull out my phone and launch an app everytime I want to start the car from inside a store...

Pair it up with a decent RF remote kit and you'll get great range, 2-way communication and no annual fee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. Didn't know the Mk3 Focus had low-current ignition harness. The idatalink pieces don't have enough isolated + outputs to pull that off either way. I haven't yet done a STD key, only the Intelligent-Access.

My big thing is I didn't want any extra bulk on my key ring. I get free plans on the telematics pieces so no concern here. Even then, $50 a year isn't a big deal. It probably costs them nearly that much to provide the air time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
$400 is more than you should need including professional labor.

Viper has long been thought to be the gold standard for alarms, remote start, keyless entry. I'm also a fan of Compustar. Both companies make several systems in that price range.

But to go off the beaten path here, the newer Focus are capable of getting remote start without an actual remote start brain perse. The XpressKit DBALL2 can be installed and paired up with the XL202 and one of several Viper remote kits (example) to give you remote start. It's what is called a "Remote Start Ready (RSR)" installation. If your installer is not familiar with this installation, turn around and walk out. This is not uncommon by any means. I do probably 20 RSR installs a month during the winter. If you buy the parts online, or make them price-match, the whole thing with labor shouldn't be over $300 tops. See your local installer and have a chat. If you're willing to drive to central OK, I'll do it for you. :)

Lastly, don't allow your installer to sell you on the T-harness for this vehicle. The T-harness USUALLY makes the installation quicker and prevents the installer from cutting into some of your factory wires. However, on the newer Focus, this is not the case. All the connections he/she needs is behind the glove box. So using a T-harness forces installation under the driver's dash and becomes way more of a pain than it's worth. Every single connection he/she needs is at the BCM behind the glovebox.

EDIT: Also, Viper frequently runs this combo deal with a 1-button full remote start system and DBALL packaged together for $199 installed. Don't go for it. It's a good deal for vehicles that aren't RSR capable. But that system is extremely bare bones and has mediocre range. With the remote kit linked above you'll get 3 times the range and 2-way confirmation of the vehicle starting. Probably 50 bucks more than the combo. WAY worth it.

EDIT X2: I also just remembered.... an installer might try to sell you on reusing your factory fob and use 3X lock to trigger remote start. That used to work. You were limited to the factory keyfob range, but it worked. However, Directed just ceased flashing ability for that feature on Sept 30th. So that's not an option with the DBALL anymore.
I wanted to get your advice since you are knowledgable in this realm and I really have now idea.

I have a 2013 focus hatch SE. I would like to have remote start put on it. I like what you have put, but in my terms, I have no idea what it all means. So if I got all 3 parts you have listed above, I should be able to have remote start capabilities? I was looking at this from Viper/best buy since they could install it too as a package. Viper Responder LE 4806V 2Way Remote Start System & Geek Squad Installation - Best Buy

Please let me know your thoughts as I want a good quality remote start that I will be happy with.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I wanted to get your advice since you are knowledgable in this realm and I really have now idea.

I have a 2013 focus hatch SE. I would like to have remote start put on it. I like what you have put, but in my terms, I have no idea what it all means. So if I got all 3 parts you have listed above, I should be able to have remote start capabilities? I was looking at this from Viper/best buy since they could install it too as a package. Viper Responder LE 4806V 2Way Remote Start System & Geek Squad Installation - Best Buy

Please let me know your thoughts as I want a good quality remote start that I will be happy with.
Be aware that the system you linked is nothing like the items I discussed. The 4806V is a full remote start system/brain. In addition to the system, you'll also need the XpressKit DBALL2 or Flashlogic FLCAN (Best Buy sells both). This is actually noted on that item page.
NOTE: cost of additional parts and labor typically ranges from $10 to $300, depending upon vehicle make and model - please contact your local Best Buy store for exact pricing.
A full blown system/brain like this is unnecessary for a 13 Focus UNLESS you want all the tiny add-on features like heated seat activation, rear window defrost, etc etc (which each will require extra labor/$$). For just remote start/keyless entry, using the RSR method I discussed above will save you money and make the installation 1/2 the work for the installer. And when you make it easier for the installer, you generally end up with a cleaner install.[hihi] Using the DBALL2 as your brain, buying the range extender and remote kit (you can even buy the exact same 4806V remotes!) is all you need. And like I said previously, talk with your installer first. Best Buy can be hit or miss. There's a TON of Best Buy techs nationwide. Some are great installers and some are noobs. That's what happens with a company of their size.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While firebird is giving great advice. Just wanted to throw in that the dball2pro can give remote start and security. Give you 3x lock from factory fob and allow fob to control viper alarms. Also you can add smartstart and a longer range remote kit. This is what i have. I nearly never carry the extra viper remote as i use my phine when to far away for factory remote. Some like this. Sone like firebird will prefer just having the extra remote. Everything is behind glove box minus if you have a 5speed like mine a connection at the clutch is needed. The entire glove box removes in mere minutes and you have a nice gaping hole for connections. A directechs passwors will be needed for flashing either the dball2 or dball2pro. For warranty sake and if its not something your familar with i would recommend you visit the nearest viper or clifford dealer and you should be able to get the dball2pro and 2way led remote or a smart start for about your budget. Be sure to feel comfortable with the shop. No t harness for this car. Be sure they use solder connections and NOT TTAPS!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Solid advice. The DBALL2PRO is an outstanding piece of electronics, but has been hard to come by in my experience. Most shops don't carry it at all and it's not exactly overflowing online either.

3X Lock that chase mentioned means you can hit lock 3 times and it will trigger remote start. It's nice of course, but you're limited to the factory keyfob range. I've also had customers complain that the horn honks when you hit Lock that many times. Which at 4am, could anger some neighbors. And as discussed above, SmartStart is up to you. Some people love it, others don't. I don't exactly hate it, I just don't care to pull out my phone and launch an app to start my car.... and pay an annual fee on top of that. Absolutely to each their own though.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just to update this, Directed has since WITHDRAWN this removal of features. They pulled the 3X lock option, everyone raised hell, they back-pedaled and decided to put it all back. [:p] So you can now, again, use just the DBALL2 as a standalone remote start add-on for the 2012+ Focus (auto trans only).
Is this still the best/cleanest method for install? Could you use something like this instead? (2013 Focus Se)

DBALL2 + Viper 4806V ??

Viper 4806V LED 2-Way Remote Start System (VIPER4806V)
As was said, you can use the entire 4806V system if you want, but it's unnecessary. If you want some extra AUX channels to trigger rear defrost, etc, then sure. But if you just want remote start, the DBALL2 is all you need. If you want the longer range and 2-way communication of the 4806V, you can add those keyfobs onto the DBALL2 without buying/using the whole 4806V system.

And all that said, if you DO decide to go into a full-blown system, the 4806V would not be my choice. The iDatastart systems have my heart as of late. [twothumbs] The HCX000A will do 3X lock start for the Focus. And then the HC1/2 systems are sick tight if you want to expand. Those systems are going to give you the cleanest install, for a full system, IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sadly i cant just use the 3 lock start as i park a good 500ft from my building at work(outside)

the only reason i was looking at that system was cost. In Toronto, Canada its usually more expensive to buy just a remote then one of these full systems.

That viper system is 129$ plus tax CAD where as the idatas are 399 + .(then still have to pay for install, not sure if the idata includes the imobilizer..)

link iDatalink All-In-One 2-way Remote Starter (HC2352AC)

inorder to just use the fobs with the dball2 would i need that xl202? or is that just to increase range?

If i did need that extra part the cheapest method for me then is just the dball2 + the viper i quoted above. (i think?)

With a system like the viper i quoted can everything still be done behind the glove box for a clean install? (the only extra i might want is defrost)

Honestly id rather have an even smaller remote similar to the viper value 2 way remote (the 1 with 1 button)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-r...mote-start-system/1659006.p?id=1219058505164&

but the price difference is insane for just a smaller remote...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sadly i cant just use the 3 lock start as i park a good 500ft from my building at work(outside)

the only reason i was looking at that system was cost. In Toronto, Canada its usually more expensive to buy just a remote then one of these full systems.

That viper system is 129$ plus tax CAD where as the idatas are 399 + .(then still have to pay for install, not sure if the idata includes the imobilizer..)

link iDatalink All-In-One 2-way Remote Starter (HC2352AC)

inorder to just use the fobs with the dball2 would i need that xl202? or is that just to increase range?

If i did need that extra part the cheapest method for me then is just the dball2 + the viper i quoted above. (i think?)

With a system like the viper i quoted can everything still be done behind the glove box for a clean install? (the only extra i might want is defrost)

Honestly id rather have an even smaller remote similar to the viper value 2 way remote (the 1 with 1 button)
Viper Responder One 2-Way Remote Start System 4205V - Best Buy

but the price difference is insane for just a smaller remote...
I actually have/use that one button remote. lol DBALL2+XL202+2-way one button keyfob kit. Yes, you need the XL202 to add any of the Viper keyfobs. And yes, the iDatastart modules have the immobilizer bypass built in. Small, sleek, sexy. A very similar system that you might get a better deal on would be any Compustar with the CM7200 brain and Blade bypass module. All of those companies are based in Canada. If America is getting them cheaper than you..... lol

Couple things:

1) You mentioned cleanest install. Using DBALL2+XL202+remote kit is going to be the cleanest solution for you. Hands down.

2) Installers generally charge different amounts for different types of installs. A full blown system with outboard bypass module and AUX channels carries the highest install rate. So even if one option costs a touch more in equipment, it might be cheaper to install. Just something to calculate into your decision.

3) Before we go any further, you do have automatic trans, yes? If not, remote start is still possible. But certain systems are out of the picture.

EDIT: Here's the HC2 for $319CDN. At that website you're linking to advertises 15% price guarantee to online competitors. See if they'll give it to you for $271... If you're going to get it installed there, use that as buying power as well.
https://www.amazon.ca/iDatastart-iD...TF8&qid=1479220281&sr=8-2&keywords=idatastart

Heck here's $220US, but shipped from Canada.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDATALINK-I...IN-ONE-WITH-KEY-BYPASS-HC2352AC-/201518377184

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes i have auto.

I will have to call around to some local shops. Most of the reputable places seem to have fixed pricing. Looks like ill need to talk to the installer. for example install that HC2 at Visions is 650 + tax (this includes the 399 hardware). that seems outragous.... almost 300 for install???

Would something like this be an option? Viper Responder One 4211V 2-Way Remote Start w/ Bypass Module

Thats about 250CAD for the hardware.

And yes Canada gets the short end of the price stick. Small population, large area + greedy companies.

Just for note i have installed keyless entry in 2 other cars but they were both 2003 or older GM's so there was no fancy 80bit key immobilizer junk. From what i read these new bypass sytems must be setup by an installer so not much point me trying to install on my own.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
300CDN for an install on full system with bypass module isn't outrageous provided they do good work and connect all the things that should be connected, but actually aren't "required" for the remote start (ie parking lights, properly installed hood pin, etc). AUX channel installs will always cost extra. That's right about the price I'd charge. $200-$225USD. Lifetime warranty on labor, which I generally flex to mean almost any problem other than keyfobs.

That Viper setup is essentially the DBALL2Pro I believe. I've never put one in. I heard horror stories when they first came out, but have since heard great stories. Maybe people just didn't know how to use them or what their limitations were? At any rate, it looks like a great deal and should work very well for your situation. I'd probably use it myself. Provided you've decided you don't want any AUX channels.

·
Registered
178 Posts
sorry for all the questions... So for clarification the viper 4806V set includes the rf radio and what not. I could have them wire it only for remote start and still get the "1 mile" range?

without buying an xl202 or anything else.(other then the dball2 or similar) Just trying to see what my options are cost wise.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The 4806V includes the RF remotes and antenna. the XL202 is not needed, but you'll still need the DBALL2. Having them "wire it only for remote start" is the whole install. lol

Never on the best day will you get 1 mile range. Even a clear night with zero obstructions between you and the car. Not even a true 1/2 mile. BUT you will get greater range than the non-2way systems and any OEM keyfob for sure.

If range is what you're looking for, then the Compustar T11 system is the king dog. But it's spendy as all heck. I had an insider deal on it and got one for my girlfriend. Still spent like $200 FOR THE KEYFOB ITSELF ONLY. lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
i park about 500ft from my office so should be ok even at half a mile.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Since you were looking at Sonic Electronix, did you see this bundle?
Viper 4208V 2-Way Remote Start and Keyless Entry System
Amazon has it shipped and sold for the same price. Probably an easier return policy if you hate it with Amazon, even if the installer has already hacked it up. Provided you get it installed within 30 days of course.

I'd charge you ~$129USD for install on that.

BTW, those are the EXACT SAME keyfobs included with the 4806V that advertise 1 mile range. LOL The all black ones shown on Sonic's webpage are the newest design. The black and silver are slightly older. Who knows what you'd actually get when ordering from Amazon. They use default pictures all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts