Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These come in a 16" x 7" wheel size and for the weight are a good balance between the upper light weight ones and anything larger. Want to keep to 16" to keep tires cheaper (AutoX and NASA / SCCA stuff also).

My Stock 16" wheels with the +52.5mm offset gives me about a 1/4" between the tire and the strut up front when running a 225/50R16 Potenza 960AS tire.

Looking at these wheels at a 7" wide tire and a +42mm offset will this allow me to run a 245 wide tire? its basically about 1" wider. but the wider wheel and lower offset should push the wheel a bit further out. I will just need to make sure I role my fenders when doing this.

Wanted to see if anyone else has had experience running a 245 tire on a first Gen Focus when running this tire size.

Thanks.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
I'm not sure that will fit if you are lowered at all.

Here is my car running a 215.45/17. The wheel is the same spec, 7" and et42, just the 17" version. I was lower on summer wheels/stretched tire and when i swapped to the Sparco's and before raising my coilovers, the tire was touching/rubbing the inside metal fender. My fenders are rolled and lightly pulled with modified liners too. Unless you have a decent amount of suspension travel, i am not sure a wider tire will work well.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Koni Yellow with there Blue springs so it is a bit lowered. I have camber plates and C-F-M control arms to also adjust camber at that point. With the Race Camber Plates I actually have some reduced suspension travel.

The 225/50R16's come out to about a 24.9" over all diameter and then 245/45R16 are a 24.7" diameter (not to mention about $60 more a tire though.....for the Potenza RE-11's at least) so the larger tire would be just a hair smaller in diameter.

Also looking at the recommended tire size and wheel width the 245 wont mount on a 7"... but that has not stopped me mounting a 225 on the stock width 6" wheel either.

Thank you for the input. Looks like I need to do the RS fender flair conversion to fit that wide of a tire... Do you know how much room you have between the strut and the tire? My concern is also even if I roll and stretch the fenders that it might rub on the struts.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
I can try to look when i get home from work but logic tells me the answer is plenty. At least 7mm more than the svt spec wheels that are 17x7 et49, pretty sure i have read people running a 225/45 on those wheels too. You should be fine there

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! the 245 wheel is just about 1" wider so will be 1/2" closer to the strut. but with the et42 vs the et49 would push it out a little more.

Finding that its hard to get a 245/45 tire though.... so will likely just run a 225 width tire.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Finding that its hard to get a 245/45 tire though.... so will likely just run a 225 width tire.
225 is more than enough on a 7" wide wheel. Would a 245 even fit on a 7", allowing the full contact of all that 245 on the pavement? Not that there are a ton of choices but if you are going the route of wider fenders, why not look into a 16x8 and then run a 245 like you wanted to?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All are possibilities right now. I don't have wheels or tires yet so can work on any combination. I would think the 245 would be about the same type of fit as the 225 on the stock 16" wheel I have now.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
why would you want a tire wider than the rim?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why would you want a tire wider than the rim?
Right? You want to stretch the crap out of them.... [poke] HELLAFLUSH!

205 = 205mm = 8.07" wide is the stock width tire for the 16x6 focus wheel. so 2" larger than wheel.

go to a 7" wheel to keep the "same" that would be a 9" width tire = 9x25.4 = 225 wheel (or really a 228.6 tire).

I have a 225 right now on a 6" wheel so that's really 3 inches wider. if I go with a 7" wheel 3" wider would be a 10" wide tire 10x25.4 = 254 or likely a 245 tire.

I get good contact patch with the current 225/50R16 when aired at 40psi. So that is why I was thinking a 7" wheel with the 245 tire.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I really didn't want to get into all the measurement specs. & differences.

Tire width number alone isn't an absolute, it's a measurement across the sidewalls when the tire is mounted on a rim width the manufacturer considers standard for that tire. Tread width isn't specified at all, you have to check that out for yourself.

Typical current 215//45 - 17's have a tread width similar to the TOTAL rim width of a nominal 7" wide rim, that's std. sizing for an SVT Focus with 205's being a popular optional size (slightly narrower read & a diameter close to the other Focus tire sizes used for MkI's).

Going larger than that by a touch might not be a problem, but going to 245's is pushing it outside normal ranges as you found when you saw 7" wide listed as too narrow for the tires (245/45-16) you were considering.

A little stretch (wider rim than tread) works well for handling as it improves response - wheel moves with the tread better with sideways forces.

Narrow wheel tends to crown the tire, particularly with low profile ones, so you don't get even pressure on the tread across the width. When the tire is made it's inflated on a standard width rim in the cooker, remember that you're dealing with a round profile inside vs. flat tread contact on the ground.

You mentioned racing earlier, look in those sections to see what others who were successful are using.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Will do. I am in no hurry so am working now to try to find tires and wheels for the spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts