Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Focus Zx4 Sedan and I can't seem to find a good place to ground my amp. Any ideas, suggestions or better yet pics of ground areas in the Zx4 Sedan.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
connect to the metal body under the carpet
be sure to sand the paint away so you have good contact

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lots of times seat brackets work well. Just like focusincali said, make sure you grind away all the paint around the connection.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have the same car, and I grounded mine under the rear seats. When you pull away the carpeting a little bit you can see the weld spots where the body is attached to the frame. I drilled my hole in the middle of the frame member where I would be sure not to poke through something holding gas. And ya like they said, get the paint off of there and use a couple washers to make sure you get a good connection.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PhilMayfield said:
I have the same car, and I grounded mine under the rear seats. When you pull away the carpeting a little bit you can see the weld spots where the body is attached to the frame. I drilled my hole in the middle of the frame member where I would be sure not to poke through something holding gas. And ya like they said, get the paint off of there and use a couple washers to make sure you get a good connection.
Any chance you can get a picture of this. I don't have my camera at the moment to show a pic where I tried to drill that it seemed to get stuck. I think I drilled on the passenger side but it might of been too close to the weld.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Here ya go:

You can see the two lines of spot welds or rivets or whatever they are, I just went between them. If you tap on it with a screwdriver handle you can hear the sound difference too, where the support frame is. You can also see where I screwed up and drilled a hole too big. When I went to put the screw in, it wouldnt tighten down, so ya, use one size smaller on the bit than you think you need. [thumb]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, after a few extra holes and a trip to home depot lol, I've managed to get the ground all good.

off topic, well sorta on topic I guess, if I have everything hooked up but the remote wire should the amp still power on? I still have no red or green light for that matter on the amp. I'm going to try and find the right remote wire tomorrow when there is more light but I just thought the amp would still come on since power is being sent to it. Maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
316 Posts
nope. It wont power on without the remote wire.. it 'remotely' turns it on with a 12V signal. IF you want to turn it on temporarily you can jump the power over to the remote, but don't leave it or it wont power off and will drain your battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you mean jump the power over? I have to figure out which wire to tap into on the back of my headunit, but I wanna test it out before I actually completly secure it and put the HU back in.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
he's referring to a jumper wire from the main power wire connector to the remote wire connector, and as said, it will always be on

hook up the correct wire at the HU and be done with it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahh I gotcha, yes I plan on hooking it up the right way I just wanted to make sure my fuses and ground are alright, then I have to find the right remote wire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got it all working, now it's time for the clean up and very much needed dynamat. My trunk rattles like pissed off rattlesnake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts