Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im lookin at getting some subs and an amp before summer is over

ive looked online at many differnt brands of subs, and want to do either 2 or 3 10's, now all i need to know is what sub companies are good?

heres a lil list of subs that caught my eye, comapnies

POWER ACOUSTIK
MTX
Alpine
Kicker
Pioneer

now i haev a pioneer HU, im not all that good with systems so i need help, i like how power accoustic has 10 subs with 2400 max watts and has a huge 270oz magnet, dont know if its good or bad. i mainly listen to rock and such no rap, rarely, anyone help me out with this?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
JL Audio

·
Registered
563 Posts
Power Acoustik is crap, stay away from them. Usually any company that rates their product in MAX power, you want to stay away from.

MTX makes decent subs, but there is better for the money. Until you get into the high levels of Pioneer, there subs really aren't very impressive. Kicker makes decent subs. Stay away from the L series, they break easy and sound terrible (a lot of uneducated and unexperienced users will argue this, but it is true). Alpine would be the best of what you posted. Their Type R subwoofers are excellent subs. A guy I know took a single 12" R to 151dB. I can pretty much guarentee you won't come anywhere near that, but they CAN get loud if done right.

Out of what you lised, I'd take Alpine Type R's. What is you budget? You don't necessarily need 3 10"s. I could name a single 12" sub that would have equal output to 3 10"s.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i personally have the type r's and love them. but jl is not a bad product either (however if you buy jl stuff online there is absolutely no warranty at all on them). i know my r's are twelves but i listened to the tens at the audio shop and they sounded awesome. also detroit is right, why get three tens when you could get one or even two twelves for probably less money and be louder. just my two cents worth.

josh

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
We are kind of partners with one of the bigger car audio stores around here and can get you guys 5% over cost on the JL Audio equipment. If you want something from Jl, go to their website and get the part# of what you want and ill check to see what if will cost me.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^coool beans b16sir1991, um idont think 3 10's is worth it, i wanna stay 10's for my rock music, i had some 12's i borrowed froma buddy and didnt care for em much, really i dont care of what company but i just want decent subs that'll last and push so nice pwoer for a good price

·
Registered
563 Posts
Don't say 10"s are good for rock and 12s aren't, it all depends on the brand. I know of some 15"s that sound just as good on rock music as 10"s

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^well overall consenus says 10's are better, i really dont know, im just going by word of mouth, and 10's are fairly cheap, as are other subs, but 10'' are less to make so therfore less money in same company. any good amps, and what size amp to use power wise, and ohms?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Klondike, check out this sub and this amp or this amp. It should sound great and get decently loud, especially if you are on a tight budget and are dead set on 10's. They also do sell the sub as a 12" if you were to decide to go that route.

Mike

Edit: Just noticed that the second amp listed is on back order, but still a great amp to consider if they are back in stock when you are ready to do this.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
get the size you want, but get it for the right reasons

DetroitBass is correct, your comparison in wrong. You didn't like the subs you listened to and more important, the setup. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with the size.

As said, there are 15" subs that will kick arse over most 10" subs out there.
It's about the design, power, and box setup.

Comparing subs of the same make/model/design...........

10s, 12s, and 15s all play the same speed. PERIOD

The larger the sub, the more output. PERIOD

Again, if you want a pair of 10s that's ok, but don't be brainwashed by fiction and rumors that 10s sound better than 12s or 15s. It's simply wrong.

How do I know this? I used to believe the same rumor until a group of guys with a shyte load of knowledge set me straight. But hey, I didn't stop there. I contacted and spoke with sub manufacturers themselves. Now I know....... and so do you. [;)]

As for subs:

Alpine Type R from your list

Better yet:

Soundsplinter RL-p
Peerless XXLS
JL Audio W6 with the discount above
Image Dynamics IDMAX or 15" IDQ
Adire Audio Brahma
Oz Audio Matrix Elite

If you can find one, a 15" IDQ will have good output with killer Sound Quality in a small sealed box. I have a 12 and it's plenty for me. I can only imagine what dual 12s would be like. [:D]

Go with the Soundplinter subs if you can spend more money.

·
Registered
563 Posts
How loud are you looking to get? Do you just want to add some decent bump into your car? I think the Eclipse sub and amp I am selling here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90930

Would probably be enough for you. Im selling that stuff dirt heap because I just upgraded. $285 for an Eclipse sub and amp is a killer deal, especially since that sub is one of their upper lines.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with Detroit and focusinCali... i was just to lazy to type it all out..10's are NOT inherently better for rock... both of them made good sub suggestions..

I'm partial to soundsplinter myself... RLP ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have 2 12'' alpine s types with a alpine mrp-650 amp and the sound quality is insane, as well my rear view mirror has fallen off a few times , i got everything from ebay and am very impressed with the set up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
fstbckgt said:
go with a DD (digital designs) by far the loudest sub in the world....a single 10' or 12' will blow away pretty much any other sub in existance
No offense, but thats a pretty ignorant statement. Yes, DD is a nasty subwoofer, and one, yes one of the 10's, a 9910 if i remember correctly hit a 160+ of the TL. But the main thing is the install.

And for Loudest in the world, I believe Scott Owens owns that title with a 180.x with Pioneer 5000spl subwoofers.

Outta your list, I would go with the Type R's. But I would expand your list and check out http://www.realmofexcursion.com Its one of the most knowledgable sites when it comes to audio that I have ever run across.

In my opinion, I would check out www.audioque.com, made in the same buildhouse as Digital Designs, and uses the same motor and soft parts, just uses a different cooling system and its half the price of DD. [thumb]

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool thanks alot fellas, i have opened up to the fact that 10's arent best for rock, so ill just have a look see and when i find something ill ask about it. um detriot bass im gonna look at your setup and see
thanks again all!

·
Registered
864 Posts
i listen to mostly rock also, and i have 2 rockford fosgate stage 2 12's with a kenwood amp 1800w and a sealed box and love it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'll tell you this much, I've had two 10's 12's and a 15, out of the setups i was most happy with my 15, wit the exception of trunk space, the 15 (Treo SSX) had the best sound qual. and hit the lowest notes without distortion, but then again it's all in what you pay is what you get, my 15 was the cheapest out of the 3 septups but sound the best. I listen to alot of hip-hop, techno/trance and miami bass

1 - 20 of 29 Posts