Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 3d Generation. All stock. Change oil every 10k miles per manual. How long can the engine and tranny last without major issues? I just had dual clutches replaced for free at dealer and it runs very well. I am wondering how many miles this car can go stock? Could not find a thread specific to this generation. But I am new so if you have a link to such a thread on a 3d Generation I would appreciate it! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont run it hot , keep good maintenance you should see 250,000 +

Tom
Thanks. By run it hot, do you mean don't race it or make sure it has no coolant problems? This car is my daily driver, and I have a Corvette for fun so not going to race the Focus. Although it looks like you could make it a lot more fun. ;)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Continuing to run them with cooling system trouble (including inop fans) has damaged or killed off a fair number of first gen Foci)

MkIII's haven't been around that long yet, seen a number of examples between 100 & 150,000 so far & that's about it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would think there is no real limit to it, however at some point everything wears out. With good maintenance and not driving it hard, I would think these cars can go to 200K without spending too much money (at least that is my hope).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am wondering how many miles this car can go stock?
There is really no answer for this, if you take care of the car and do the maintenance it should last but like anything mechanical they can fail at any time. My in laws had a grand prix die at 40k miles when it was only 3 years old right outside of warranty and they do all the maintenance.

I think most cars with proper care can easily get 150k+ miles and the focus is no different. I traded in my 08 with 112k and had 0 problems, only money I put into it was for tires, tune up at 80k and oil changes. That car ran just as good as the day we got it when i traded it in earlier this month and the dealer has already sold it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think 10000 miles is too long for oil change intervals. Mine is getting pretty dark by 5k.

·
Registered
976 Posts
An oil analysis is what tells you if the oil is ok...not the color.

·
Registered
234 Posts
An oil analysis is what tells you if the oil is ok...not the color.
Or I could spend the oil analysis money on just changing the oil. Or I could just wait for cam timing faults to post. Then I'll just change the filter and add a quart, cause like I'm using Amsoil. And it has magic fairy dust in it that will make it last 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most new vehicles have a recommended 10k mile oil change. You can do it before if it makes you happy it wont hurt anything. It also depends on your driving habits, i know if you use E85, or driving in dusty areas often they recommend it sooner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My first engine went at 45K miles due to a head gasket, but that I feel was probably a manufacturing defect. Like most have said already, car longevity is a mix of proper maintenance, how you treat the car and build quality. Most cars can last for a very long time. It's really up to the owner to keep it going strong, which with the focus, is pretty strait forward.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well i had a 2007 focus before and put 80k miles on it with 0 problems. I only have 10k on my current car. I will say though, i have a friend who has a 04 focus with the 2.3 duratec and he is pushing 300k miles with no problems. the only thing he has had to replace outside of regular maintance was the front sway bar because it broke. otherwise the car is completly stock.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oil Change monitor will come on, no need to waste $ changing every 3000 mi, anymore.
Owners manual says 7500-10000 miles.

Only if using car as a taxi or in dusty climate would require sooner.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I was doing the 5,000 mile changes. I just hit 44,000 and this is my second consecutive oil fill that I'm running to 10,000 miles (1,000 left to go). I have yet to see the OLM indicator.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It also depends on how you drive. I have extremely dark oil at 4K miles, and the couple times I've pushed it to 5K, I noticed an actual drop in fuel economy as compared to the next fresh oil.

I think for longevity it would be best to stay with 5K intervals. If you're using a full synthetic, maybe you can go more, but definitely with a synthetic blend if I was worried about getting 150K miles out of my car I'd be changing the oil more often than every 10K miles. These cars with the direct injection also have an issue with extreme carbon buildup on the intake valves. Changing the oil more often should help that issue because dirty oil will tend to vaporize and collect there faster.

Keep in mind also that the oil change indicator does not know about the quality or type of oil in your car, it just assumes the oil will be dirty at a certain point based on your driving habits. If you drive like it's a pleasant Sunday afternoon everywhere you go, it likely won't come on for 10,000 miles, even though you might be running junk Advanced Auto Parts conventional oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oil Change monitor will come on, no need to waste $ changing every 3000 mi, anymore.
I have yet to see the OLM indicator.
When I read this first post. I was wondering about an OLM as well, though I know their accuracy sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Just bought a '13 for my daughter. Is there an OLM on these cars?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
^^^Using that logic do 7.5k changes because I do them and am at ~50k with non problems.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Do your oil changes when it needs it. Big help right there. I even flushed my tranny fluid about 2000 miles ago and it shifts a lot smoother(5spd). Really the basic stuff is what you want to do. And honestly make sure you keep the interior clean cause no one likes a well running car that looks like crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts