Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 se 2.0 5 speed,80,000 miles. The only modification is the Steeda cold air intake. Since the temps here in the mornings has dropped into the 30's and 40's,the engine cranks over at least 5 seconds before starting and sometimes I have to crank it more then once before it starts. Before the weather change it would crank maybe two seconds before it would start,if that long. I have tried waiting until the seat belt chime stops before cranking the engine to give the fuel pump time to prime,doesn't seem to make a difference. the engine starts fine after it has warmed up and it runs normal otherwise. It didn't do this last year when the weather changed. Could it have something to do with the CAI? That is the only different on the car from last winter. Thanks for any ideas!! Ben

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
weak battery? my car cranks and starts fine as long as it hasnt sat for more then 2 days. after that my "light weight battery" (from an ATV, lmao) has a little struggle to start the car, but only like a 1-2sec crank. normally its turn key for about half a sec and its running.

if your still running the factory battery i would have it tested seeing as its around 6-7 years old now and thats when they usually start crapping out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,guess the battery could be original still,I have only owned the car for a year,not sure if anybody replaced it or not, but it doesn't turn over slower,just takes longer to start.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleaned the battery terminals today,didn't make a diifference in cold crank times,it just turns over faster. The light was still green in the battery. I know that only shows the condition of one cell,but They way it turns over I don't believe it is a battery problem. Would a dirty MAF meter cause a longer crank time on cold starts?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MAF COULD be involved, as excess oil from re-useable filters can cause issues when it contaminates it, and the MAF includes the intake air temp. sensor....

Do the "odo" trick to see what temp the engine THINKS it's at B4 starting.

If it doesn't match ambient, you've found the issue. (temp. sensors that don't agree with reality, causing it to think it's warmer than it is..)

Luck!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Only for the purpose of troubleshooting try starting it with the throttle cracked open just a tweak and see if it fires up (release the accelerator as soon as it starts) more quickly. Any obvious change in the initial cold start speed of about 1600-1700 RPM (with the normal decrease as it warms up), or with the warmed up idle speed? I don't believe the temp sensor (a thermister) is going to be affected by oil contamination but the airflow sensor itself sure can be, as sailor has suggested. Ford used to warn (and maybe still does) about the use of oiled type air filters for this very reason. Do you have or have access to a scantool? The baro (MAP sensor) and the cylinder head temp sensor may also be used by the PCM to determine the starting fuel delivery. My car has done the same thing intermittently over the years but I've never found any reason for it (scantool data) and because otherwise it runs perfectly, I just blame the fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts