Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum here...

My 2005 ST is approaching 100K miles and i want to keep it lasting. One major problem is that it seems to be long-starting more and more frequently. The motor will turn over for 4-5 seconds before starting. Anybody else experience this? It happens about 50% of the time. If i mash the gas pedal during the long start, it will usually start up.

Appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Have you changed the spark plugs yet. What about the fuel filter. ? Once its running , does it run good ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have had the same issue for the last 40K miles. I have changed the plugs to Bosch Platinum Fusions, all cops, fuel filter, clean AEM filter on Steeda SRI, all to no avail. I have a very noisy fuel pump (for the last 50K mi.) The long start seems not to affect cold (overnight) start, mostly warm starts. Double priming (turn ignition on, then off, then on again) seems to help.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
"Bosch Platinum Fusions, all cops,"
You mean the Bosch Plats and then tried all copper plugs ?

I think there have been a few guys that had probs with the Bosch plugs. IIRC they didnt have the correct reach into the cyl`s. Try going back to the Motorcraft Plats...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i changed spark plug (matched existing), changed the fuel filter, and had the electrical system checked. I'm wondering if its the fuel pump gone bad? i was thinking about replacing that anyways now that i'm at 100K.

How do you feel about your Steeda SRI? I'm going to have to get that or CAI now that i'm at 100 K with that god-awful "lifetime" filter. I was really hoping that might solve the problem, but it doesn't appear that way.

Now that i think about it, cold-starts are fine, it is just warm starts. I'm not enough of a gear head to figure that out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i changed spark plug (matched existing), changed the fuel filter, and had the electrical system checked. I'm wondering if its the fuel pump gone bad? i was thinking about replacing that anyways now that i'm at 100K.

How do you feel about your Steeda SRI? I'm going to have to get that or CAI now that i'm at 100 K with that god-awful "lifetime" filter. I was really hoping that might solve the problem, but it doesn't appear that way.

Now that i think about it, cold-starts are fine, it is just warm starts. I'm not enough of a gear head to figure that out.[/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts