Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 ZX3 is having a hard time starting. It cranks for 5 seconds or so before starting. I checked the fuel pressure with a scan tool. It's about 40 psi while running, then when shut off, it drops off very quickly.

I pulled the fuel rail, pressurized the system, but did not see any of the injectors leaking.

Is there a check valve or fuel pressure regulator somewhere in the system between the fuel tank and fuel rail?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Im fairly certain the check valve is in the fuel pump module.

Long crank times for the 05-07 is not necessarily caused by a FP problem (although it can be). 40psi RFP ER is correct. Many 05-07s required a PCM reflash to address this long crank issue (there is/was a TSB) - my 05 ZX4 5-speed had its PCM reflashed early in its life (long before I owned it) as there is a Ford dealer applied sticker on the hood underside detailing the date and program level, etc. Also you might just need a set of spark plugs and coils if yours are old(er).

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
16,336 Posts
Ruptured fuel rail pressure sensor can leak back into vacuum line if equipped. Same as leaking injector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I did check the fuel rail pressure sensor as well. It's new and holds pressure.

I might have to live with it versus dropping the tank. :(

·
Grey Friar
927 Posts
This kind of thing is either spark, fuel, or tune... same for any car. I guess it could be a dead squirrel in the exhaust pipe, but then it wouldn't run... or maybe a jumped timing belt. If it's not fuel pressure related, then you have to check the other possibles.

How does it run when it starts? Does it fall off at higher rpm? Does it rev freely by misfire? Explain how the car behaves when running, or everybody will have to keep guessing.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,408 Posts
My solution is to turn the key on but wait until the fuel pump shuts off to start. Just a few seconds. Try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts