Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Correct the misfire is only ever in cylinder 2. I got the plugs wires and coil from a local Napa. And honestly i didn’t know there was an ignition transformer capacitor. I guess I’ve got some more diag to do this weekend

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Napa sells Motorcraft?

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Napa sells Motorcraft?

Paul
No. No they don’t. Don’t know why I said it either. Because they came from advance auto. And I had to order them in cause none of the local stores had anything in stock.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
No. No they don’t. Don’t know why I said it either. Because they came from advance auto. And I had to order them in cause none of the local stores had anything in stock.
I didnt think Advance sold Motorcraft either - even special order. Anywho I just asked because there is a big problem with counterfeit Motorcraft parts now and you need to be very careful of your source (ie Amazon, ebay).

Was there absolutely no change in the extent of the problem going from the BWD to the Motorcraft coil?

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yea from advance motorcraft stamped parts in motorcraft boxes. No change going from the BWD to the motorcraft. The pigtail for the coil I got from rock auto.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
motorcraft stamped parts in motorcraft boxes
Not saying your parts are counterfeit but 'stamped' parts in 'branded' boxes are no guarantee. There are some good YT videos about the problem and amazing how accurate (and not) the counterfeit parts and packaging are. Not just Motorcraft parts - this is an world wide problem with both commercial and industrial parts coming from asia.

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I mean I hope advance isn’t selling bogus fake parts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Between blk/org-grn/blu=0.6 ohm
Blk/grn-grn/blu=0.7 ohm
Post 1-4=11 Ohm
Post 2-3=11 ohm

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I mean I hope advance isn’t selling bogus fake parts
I doubt it - a company like that has a documented supply chain. And I did not mean to cast doubt on your Motorcraft part(s). Since you have the same failure scenario with the Motorcraft coil as you had with the previous BWD that part probably is not the problem. But a misfire code on only one cylinder usually rules out fuel (except injector which you swapped), air, or timing leaving only ignition (plug, wire, coil).

Paul

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Between blk/org-grn/blu=0.6 ohm
Blk/grn-grn/blu=0.7 ohm
Post 1-4=11 Ohm
Post 2-3=11 ohm
Those resistances show that the coil 1-4 is the same as the 2-3 which is normal.

I would try swapping spark plugs 2 and 3 and see if the misfire moves.

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Tried that the other day with no difference. Is it possible for it to be the crank sensor? Also I forgot to mention this, yesterday I started to get a surging idle instead of it being smooth and the car would eventually drop low enough that it couldn’t keep itself going and die. So I’d say it’s starting to get worse unless there’s a new problem that got thrown into the mix

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Also it’s not always throwing the misfire code. But when it does pick it up it’s always cylinder 2. In an earlier post I said when we had the snap on scanner on the car it picked up about 350 count of misfires on cylinders 2 and 3. This is why we thought it was a bad bank on the coil

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Is it possible for it to be the crank sensor?
Anything is possible but I would think there would be a DTC if it was the issue and that it would affect all cylinders - not just one.

Paul

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Alright so after messing around with some different things when I have the time to do so I’ve had a chance to have one of my friends hook up his snap on scan tool. Before that the car was still starting like crap and hesitating a little while driving. Through the scan tool he was able to see normal fuel pressure and clear all current and historic codes.
What were the 'normal' fuel pressures (RFP)? RFP should be fairly constant at varying throttle position.

Also did you check VREF and TPS voltage?

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
We saw between 48-51 psi for rail pressure through the scan tool

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
From my understanding with these cars normal is between 40-65? I could be way wrong and if so please let me know

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I also checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure sensor about a week ago and it was clean and dry.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
From my understanding with these cars normal is between 40-65? I could be way wrong and if so please let me know
I thought it was 40+/-2 psi but I could be mis-remembering.

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well I’m finally gonna swallow my pride and drop it off at a friends shop cause I just can’t figure this out

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well I’m finally gonna swallow my pride and drop it off at a friends shop cause I just can’t figure this out
No bad in that. Let us know what they find.
Good luck
Paul

21 - 40 of 46 Posts