Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have an 01 zx3 with the Zetec. About two weeks ago I ended up having to do a coil due to failure and while I was at it did new plugs and wires. All motor craft parts except the coil since no one had it in stock. All was good until today. Car cranked over for about 6-8 solid seconds before it fired and then ran like garbage for about 2 seconds before it finally cleared up. No issues with drivability and once it clears up it isles smooth and runs fine. If the car sits for about 10 minutes off then it will do it all over again. I’m leaning towards the fuel pump but not quite sure yet. Need to do some testing tomorrow. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
What is RFP on scan tool?

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Paul I haven’t had a chance to check it. Need link up with a buddy of mine tomorrow to use his scan tool

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so after messing around with some different things when I have the time to do so I’ve had a chance to have one of my friends hook up his snap on scan tool. Before that the car was still starting like crap and hesitating a little while driving. Through the scan tool he was able to see normal fuel pressure and clear all current and historic codes. Car was giving a consistent cylinder 2 misfire code. After clearing the codes, cylinders 2 and 3 racked up 350 count misfire in about a minute and a half. He suggested I return the bwd coil that I got and put in a better one which was the motorcraft. Well I did that today and I’m still having the same problem. Also while diagnosing I swapped cylinders 2 and 4 injectors to see if the problem would follow and it did not and the misfire the computer sees is still on cylinder 2. Any help or ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Did you look at the plugs? Are you certain the new wires are making good contact with the new plugs and coil?

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked all the plugs. No cracks, cores are not rattling around in them, all gapped at .050, and look normal. The new wires sound and feel like they snap onto both the coil and the plugs with good contact. I’m really just at a loss with this thing at this point. One of my friends has a buddy at a local ford dealer that he’s going to talk to tomorrow to see what he says.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,388 Posts
Check the coil wiring pigtail and replace it if original.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
More background. How many miles and how long have you owned it? Have you ever replaced either of the HO2S sensors? Cleaned/replaced MAF? Checked/replaced fuel filter? Im not telling you to do this, just asking.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve owned the car for almost two years and 25k miles. Currently has 144k on it. Never replaced and o2 sensor. Fuel filter was replaced about a week ago. Actually just cleaned the maf yesterday afternoon. Also found one of the wires on the coil pigtail chafed. But fixing it made no difference

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,388 Posts
I’ve owned the car for almost two years and 25k miles. Currently has 144k on it. Never replaced and o2 sensor. Fuel filter was replaced about a week ago. Actually just cleaned the maf yesterday afternoon. Also found one of the wires on the coil pigtail chafed. But fixing it made no difference
Replace the pigtail. The wires break internally at the pins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts