Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what Ford was thinking when it comes to their capless fuel filler especially with a non locking fuel door. I just ordered a locking fuel filler plug which comes with two keys. Ford doesn't have them listed as an available accessory for the Ford Focus on their web site. I did notice they have them available for the F150, Mustang, Escape, Fusion, Edge and saw they all had the same part number listed. I found a Ford Dealer in Ohio on eBay who had them for sale and he went out and tried one on a 2012 Ford Focus and said it fit like a glove so I ordered one -- $21.95 plus $6 USPS Priority Mail with no sale tax for non Ohio resident. He then made a listing for the 2012 Ford Focus. I believe Ford has them listed for their other vehicles as $24.95 plus tax which equates to the same price I paid with shipping.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-12-Focus-OEM-Ford-Locking-Fuel-Plug-Gas-Cap-/170679357093?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bd484ea5

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know what Ford was thinking when it comes to their capless fuel filler especially with a non locking fuel door. I just ordered a locking fuel filler plug which comes with two keys. Ford doesn't have them listed as an available accessory for the Ford Focus on their web site. I did notice they have them available for the F150, Mustang, Escape, Fusion, Edge and saw they all had the same part number listed. I found a Ford Dealer in Ohio on eBay who had them for sale and he went out and tried one on a 2012 Ford Focus and said it fit like a glove so I ordered one -- $21.95 plus $6 USPS Priority Mail with no sale tax for non Ohio resident. He then made a listing for the 2012 Ford Focus. I believe Ford has them listed for their other vehicles as $24.95 plus tax which equates to the same price I paid with shipping.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-12-Focus-OEM-Ford-Locking-Fuel-Plug-Gas-Cap-/170679357093?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bd484ea5

The capless fuel tanks are equipped with an anti-siphon feature to prevent people from stealing your gas. Did you really think that Ford had not considered that? And as for adding things to the tank, do you really think a fuel cap is going to stop someone from damaging your car if they really want too? Ok, so there's a fuel cap. Are the tires puncture proof? Paint scratch proof? Glass is unbreakable? Seems like worrying over a bunch of nothing to me.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Here in the Toronto area where gas is around $4.50 - $5 a gallon, you don't have to worry about caps because the fuel thieves have started just using cordless drills to drill the tanks and empty them into cans. [ohcrap]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The capless fuel tanks are equipped with an anti-siphon feature to prevent people from stealing your gas. Did you really think that Ford had not considered that? And as for adding things to the tank, do you really think a fuel cap is going to stop someone from damaging your car if they really want too? Ok, so there's a fuel cap. Are the tires puncture proof? Paint scratch proof? Glass is unbreakable? Seems like worrying over a bunch of nothing to me.
A window is cheaper to replace then an engine which I am worried about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here in the Toronto area where gas is around $4.50 - $5 a gallon, you don't have to worry about caps because the fuel thieves have started just using cordless drills to drill the tanks and empty them into cans. [ohcrap]
I'm more worried about someone dumping sugar in the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't post for everyone's personal opinion. I posted if anyone else was interested and not for negativity.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I didn't post for everyone's personal opinion. I posted if anyone else was interested and not for negativity.
According to Ford, the only thing that can make the filler open is a gas pump nozzle. So someone trying to stick a funnel in there will have no luck. Unless they break into your car and take the emergency funnel located next to your spare tire....

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's a forum, you're going to get everyone's opinion regardless of whether or not you want it. Also it's not negative to point out the fact that you want a fuel cap to prevent someone from damaging your car when there are a million other ways your car can be damaged so why worry about it? As for the cost to replace the engine, that's what insurance is for.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm not worried about sugar in the tank one iota so I think I'll pass on the cap. The locking cap would prevent someone from doing that though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's a forum, you're going to get everyone's opinion regardless of whether or not you want it.
This. So tired of people getting pissy when people reply to their posts with something other than the one thing they want to hear. I don't understand how people don't get the concept of what social is. You'll have to hear all opinions on the Internet, even ones different from your own.

Anyway, I was under the impression that the fuel door locked when the car is locked. Just tested and yeah, I was mistaken. Sad. As for the cap itself, it's not really "locked". Pinch in the tabs on both sides of opening and the seal door opens right up. I don't understand why you need a special funnel for that. Insert any funnel, press to one side and use your key to press in the other tab. PRESTO! Nice of them to provide the appropriate size funnel though. It's not about security, it's just the locking mechanism to seal the system.

But like has been said, I don't feel the need to have security on my gas tank really.

·
Registered
209 Posts
According to Ford, the only thing that can make the filler open is a gas pump nozzle. So someone trying to stick a funnel in there will have no luck. Unless they break into your car and take the emergency funnel located next to your spare tire....
The criminals that would mess with a gas tank probably aren't smart enough to find the door to it(on the hatchback model).

Back to subject: I'm sure a lot of people will consider one of these!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm more worried about someone dumping sugar in the tank.
I've never heard of that actually happening to anyone... I'm just gonna put that out there.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, the ford easifuel has been around for years, if someone was to put sugar into your tank it would be stopped by the filter. If we worried about a 'percieved' problem then we wouldn't leave our houses. Oh wait, house are dangerous places to ;-)

I look at it this way, the easifuel system is there to prevent the wrong fuel from being put in your tank, think of the thousands of dollars it could cost you if the incorrect fuel, ie diesel, was introduced into your engine. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/240708/ Think of it saving the car from yourself :)
Chris

·
Banned
363 Posts
Hi, the ford easifuel has been around for years, if someone was to put sugar into your tank it would be stopped by the filter. If we worried about a 'percieved' problem then we wouldn't leave our houses. Oh wait, house are dangerous places to ;-)

I look at it this way, the easifuel system is there to prevent the wrong fuel from being put in your tank, think of the thousands of dollars it could cost you if the incorrect fuel, ie diesel, was introduced into your engine. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/240708/ Think of it saving the car from yourself :)
Chris
I don't buy that at all. Diesel does not kill a gas engine. Gas kills a diesel engine. If the system was designed to protect anybody, especially in Europe, where the diesel is more commonly used in passenger vehicles, the smallest nozzle pump would have been diesel so that it would not fit in a gas car. What we have is the exact opposite, the diesel pump is larger and won't fit in a gas car, yet it is relatively simple for the uninitiated to put the unleaded pump in their Diesel TDI..... (which btw, causes destruction of the HPFP, and nearly 7K worth of damage to a 30k car) all because in VW's infinite wisdom they left out two primary components of a diesel fuel system, a primary, drainable fuel filter, and a water seperator.

Two rules in our household, Locking Cap on the Diesels, and if they are loaned to anybody, explicit instructions are given to NOT refuel the car "as a favor for borrowing". People just don't associate Diesel with passenger cars in the US like they do in other nations.

Diesel in gasoline, while may cause the car to smoke, can easily just be drained from the tank and diluted down with gasoline fairly easily, with no ill effects on the engine.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts