Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone make any sense of the ##%%$!! locking and alarm systems on the Focus?
They've never made sense to me. I get out of the car,not touching any buttons or locks. I come back a few minutes later and sometimes only the hatch is locked,sometimes only the doors are locked. Sometimes all five are locked. sometimes none of them are locked. And today I came home,went inside the hose for a minute,then came back out to get some stuff out of the hatch. And of course it was locked.I went and opened the drivers side door(which wasn't locked)and lo and behold the alarm perimeter alarm goes off. This is the first time In 3 years of ownership that the alarm sounded.
This whole system has no consistency and makes no!!!!sense![mad]

The weird thing is my wife's Kia acts the same way.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section.

Might help to confirm what key system is on your car so the answers match the right type.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been having problems with my alarm as well. My car was locked at night and someone smashed my driver side window, opened the door and stole all my stuff out of my car and my alarm never once went off...... Great alarm we have in these foci

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It may be your location. If both you and your wife's car do this... I would say it is some airborne RF pollution which happens to mess with your car.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
ATC40 - unless something is different with the MkIII's I haven't heard of, the "perimeter alarm" isn't worth much. As you note, once someone gets inside they can unlock & open a door.

How often is a door/trunk opened without unlocking?

·
Registered
136 Posts
My Mk3 deadlocks, smashing the window still wont let you open the doors from the inside. The alarms dont auto lock, you are supposed to lock them, either by touching the pad or pressing the fob button

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Can anyone make any sense of the ##%%$!! locking and alarm systems on the Focus?
They've never made sense to me. I get out of the car,not touching any buttons or locks. I come back a few minutes later and sometimes only the hatch is locked,sometimes only the doors are locked. Sometimes all five are locked. sometimes none of them are locked. And today I came home,went inside the hose for a minute,then came back out to get some stuff out of the hatch. And of course it was locked.I went and opened the drivers side door(which wasn't locked)and lo and behold the alarm perimeter alarm goes off. This is the first time In 3 years of ownership that the alarm sounded.
This whole system has no consistency and makes no!!!!sense![mad]

The weird thing is my wife's Kia acts the same way.
Have you spoken with your dealer on this? Please let me know when you have an appointment set up, and send along your mileage; I'll check out some options.

It may be your location. If both you and your wife's car do this... I would say it is some airborne RF pollution which happens to mess with your car.
You bring up a good point.

Here's more info on that from the Owner Manual:

Locks and Security
REMOTE ENTRY SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED)

The typical operating range for your transmitter is approximately 33 feet (10 meters). A decrease in operating range could be caused by:
• weather conditions,
• nearby radio towers,
• structures around the vehicle, or
• other vehicles parked next to your vehicle.
The transmitter allows you to:
• remotely unlock the vehicle doors.
• remotely lock all the vehicle doors.
• remotely open the trunk.
• arm and disarm the perimeter anti-theft system.
• activate the panic alarm.
• operate the illuminated entry feature.
The remote entry lock/unlock feature operates in any ignition position except when the engine is running and vehicle speed is more than 4 mph (7 km/h).
If there are problems with the remote entry system, make sure to take ALL integrated keyhead transmitters or intelligent access keys with you to the authorized dealer in order to aid in troubleshooting the problem.

Meagan

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you spoken with your dealer on this? Please let me know when you have an appointment set up, and send along your mileage; I'll check out some options.

You bring up a good point.

Here's more info on that from the Owner Manual:

Locks and Security
REMOTE ENTRY SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED)

The typical operating range for your transmitter is approximately 33 feet (10 meters). A decrease in operating range could be caused by:
• weather conditions,
• nearby radio towers,
• structures around the vehicle, or
• other vehicles parked next to your vehicle.
The transmitter allows you to:
• remotely unlock the vehicle doors.
• remotely lock all the vehicle doors.
• remotely open the trunk.
• arm and disarm the perimeter anti-theft system.
• activate the panic alarm.
• operate the illuminated entry feature.
The remote entry lock/unlock feature operates in any ignition position except when the engine is running and vehicle speed is more than 4 mph (7 km/h).
If there are problems with the remote entry system, make sure to take ALL integrated keyhead transmitters or intelligent access keys with you to the authorized dealer in order to aid in troubleshooting the problem.

Meagan
I haven't spoken to my dealer yet. Frankly I'm a little hesitant.
Not long ago my Sync([?|]) started acting up even worse than usual(I didn;t think that was possible). A module needing replacing and it ended up taking them three days to do it. Now to be fair they took something off my bill(I needed new tires) and paid for my rental car.
But since this locking problem is so unpredictable who knows how long they would need my car?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I haven't spoken to my dealer yet. Frankly I'm a little hesitant.
Not long ago my Sync([?|]) started acting up even worse than usual(I didn;t think that was possible). A module needing replacing and it ended up taking them three days to do it. Now to be fair they took something off my bill(I needed new tires) and paid for my rental car.
But since this locking problem is so unpredictable who knows how long they would need my car?
I completely understand. If you do decide to head to your dealer, please let me know.

Meagan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts