Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 auto dirt track car. When I race it in drive, it will shift between 2nd and 3rd constantly. When I race in “L” it stays in 3rd and I’m only turning 5000 rpm.
Is there a way for me to lock it in second ?
could I remove the solenoids for 3rd 4th and 5th gear from the trans?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It only has four gears. I had a 2010 same transmission and in L it would only allow first and second gear. In D with overdrive off it only operates in 3 gears.

How fast are you going at 5,000 rpm?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only has four gears. I had a 2010 same transmission and in L it would only , member: 402829"]
It only has four gears. I had a 2010 same transmission and in L it would only allow first and second gear. In D with overdrive off it only operates in 3 gears.

How fast are you going at 5,000 rpm?

Ill check my go pro but I’m pretty sure it’s between 60-65mph on a 3/8 track

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
That is definitely second gear than the car will do over 40 in first gear. It will do over 80 in second.

·
Registered
18,125 Posts
Not that easy as the solenoids are not just used in single gears, they overlap duties for more than one thing. Disable one and you may lose everything.

You can try 'E' solenoid but you can't simply disable it like I just said. Thinking it is direct clutch needed in 3 and 4. The problem is, it HAS to be ON to get 1 and 2. It is powered to OFF at 3 and 4 but you can't simply power it up as the requirement is also PWM meaning the voltage runs up and down as needed to pressure properly.

One other thing, even if you do any of that the PCM still has control of the trans and if it suddenly does not find what it wants you may get a big fat false neutral when it tries to go to third and finds no third there. So if you experiment I would be ready for that in initial testing.

What you likely are looking for is the killing of the direct clutch, which has to work to get 3 and 4 but like said not that simple.

Trans manual here........... look at the clutch application chart and the solenoid duty chart in the first few pages.

Reactions: pbfoot
1 - 6 of 6 Posts