Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
On the 2008 Focus the fuel filter should be in the normal location just in front of the fuel tank. However in 2009 they changed to a "life-time" filter that is part of the fuel pump. I am not sure when the build-date split when they changed designs. If you do not have a filter located in the classic position, then suspect you have a late built design where it is in the fuel tank as part of the fuel filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the 2008 and 2009 Ford Focus's, the fuel filter is in its normal location. You must depressurize the system first before disconnecting the fuel lines. As far as I know, it doesn't have any heat shield cover. The filter is just supported by two brackets.

As for the 2010 models, I have yet to see one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
ever thought of going to the stealership surely your car is still under warranty

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
The 2010 has a lifetime filter on/in the pump and its in the tank!
I tried replacing mine about 4months ago and figured it out.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys,

I can confirm that the fuel filter is right in front of the fuel tank on my Ford Focus 2008 (PZEV version). I was about to change my fuel filter after reading some threads on here, but after looking at it I just wanted to verify some things before going forward (see pictures and notes below). I would also like to make a how-to video during the process as well to help others in the future.

Ford Focus 2008, Motorcraft Fuel Filter (Part # FG-1036)

Fuel Filter side 1

^- For this side it looks like I just squeeze those two red clips together?

Fuel Filter side 2

^- How do I get these two off?

When putting the new filter back on, do the hoses just slide back on? Should I remove the hoses before or after I remove the fuel filter bracket from the car? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
483 Posts
All the clips should be the same, you are just seeing them from 2 different sides, Make sure you depressurize the system first, pull the fuse for the pump and crank the car over to release the pressure.

When I did mine i unhooked the bracket first so I could move the pump to make the first line easier to remove, I found there was little play in the lines to remove them otherwise. And once you remove them lines gas will come out, so having it out of the bracket means less fooling around with gas spilling out. (If you're a smoker make sure you have one before starting this, cause you don't want to have one during).

Just be sure to replace the fuse before trying to start the car, you would not believe the number of times I've seen people forget to put it back in and curse for the next few hours cause their car wouldn't start.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
It looks like Ford has changed fuel line clips again [facepalm] IDK if it's because people are stupid and resistant to change, so they feel like they have to redesign it to be as safe as possible since improperly installed or damaged clips can cause excessive fuel leaks and possible fires. If you've ever seen what how fast a fuel pump can remove fuel from a tank, then you know what I mean. It's been more than 10 years now that it was not necessary to remove the clip to disconnect the line, but I bet there are still people on this site who pull the old white clips out and swear that's the right way to do it.

There are 2 methods for depressurizing the fuel system. One is removing the fuel pump fuse and trying to start the engine. I had little luck with that one, for some reason my engine continued to run on very low pressure. I don't know why, but I'm not the only one who had the problem. The more difficult method is to remove the passenger kick panel, and unplug the fuel cut-off switch, then try to start the engine. This method worked for me. If the fuel pump fuse works for you, then you won't have to try this method.

Those clips look like you squeeze the back side together and push the clip itself out slightly. I don't know if you can push the clip through, then insert the line to re-install. There should be some slight movement of the line with the clip installed, so move it back and forth if the clip is not easily releasing. Do not force it. If you have to force something, then you're not doing it right. If you break one of these clips, you should search online for a site that sells Doorman products, then search through to find the new clips. Otherwise you'll have to purchase fuel lines from the dealer to get the clips.

On older engines there was a short section of line on the tank side of the fuel filter because the clips on the filter itself were in a bad position to remove. Look for short sections of lines with clips facing in the right direction to be easily removed on that side if you can't reach the clips on the filter itself.

Another method might be to remove the output side of the filter, drop the filter down with the bracket, then you should be able to turn the lines or filter to expose the removable side of the fuel line clip. The only bummer with this method is that fuel will drain out of the filter. I'll bet there are short sections of line on both of those that are easy to remove and install.

The red and green lines appear to be different sizes, so don't fret about remembering which one is which.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All the clips should be the same, you are just seeing them from 2 different sides, Make sure you depressurize the system first, pull the fuse for the pump and crank the car over to release the pressure.

When I did mine i unhooked the bracket first so I could move the pump to make the first line easier to remove, I found there was little play in the lines to remove them otherwise. And once you remove them lines gas will come out, so having it out of the bracket means less fooling around with gas spilling out. (If you're a smoker make sure you have one before starting this, cause you don't want to have one during).

Just be sure to replace the fuse before trying to start the car, you would not believe the number of times I've seen people forget to put it back in and curse for the next few hours cause their car wouldn't start.
Doh, you're probably right. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks like Ford has changed fuel line clips again [facepalm] IDK if it's because people are stupid and resistant to change, so they feel like they have to redesign it to be as safe as possible since improperly installed or damaged clips can cause excessive fuel leaks and possible fires. If you've ever seen what how fast a fuel pump can remove fuel from a tank, then you know what I mean. It's been more than 10 years now that it was not necessary to remove the clip to disconnect the line, but I bet there are still people on this site who pull the old white clips out and swear that's the right way to do it.

There are 2 methods for depressurizing the fuel system. One is removing the fuel pump fuse and trying to start the engine. I had little luck with that one, for some reason my engine continued to run on very low pressure. I don't know why, but I'm not the only one who had the problem. The more difficult method is to remove the passenger kick panel, and unplug the fuel cut-off switch, then try to start the engine. This method worked for me. If the fuel pump fuse works for you, then you won't have to try this method.

Those clips look like you squeeze the back side together and push the clip itself out slightly. I don't know if you can push the clip through, then insert the line to re-install. There should be some slight movement of the line with the clip installed, so move it back and forth if the clip is not easily releasing. Do not force it. If you have to force something, then you're not doing it right. If you break one of these clips, you should search online for a site that sells Doorman products, then search through to find the new clips. Otherwise you'll have to purchase fuel lines from the dealer to get the clips.

On older engines there was a short section of line on the tank side of the fuel filter because the clips on the filter itself were in a bad position to remove. Look for short sections of lines with clips facing in the right direction to be easily removed on that side if you can't reach the clips on the filter itself.

Another method might be to remove the output side of the filter, drop the filter down with the bracket, then you should be able to turn the lines or filter to expose the removable side of the fuel line clip. The only bummer with this method is that fuel will drain out of the filter. I'll bet there are short sections of line on both of those that are easy to remove and install.

The red and green lines appear to be different sizes, so don't fret about remembering which one is which.
Wow, awesome write-up!! Thank you very much for the details. I hope to give this a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Arggh!!!!!

Ok, Taking out the fuel pump fuse and trying to turn the car over a few times seemed to depressurize the fuel lines just fine on my Focus 2008.

I got the line off on the output side (the side with one line). It was REALLY tight. But basically I had to squeeze the red clip together and it finally came out. A little bit of gasoline dripped out (nothing sprayed).

Now I can't get the other side off!! Those clips are facing up and there is so little room, plus the lines are very rigid and I can't turn them around hardly at all. Any ideas? [bigcry]

I will post a video soon of how it looks down there just in case it helps...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Focus 2010 2.0l SES I bought the fuel filter and when I wanted to replace it I couldn't find it, I have searched the internet and in many places it says that it is in front of the tank, but in my car it doesn't have it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts