Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting LOTS of engine noise with my sub.

9006 HU with navone engineering LOC. LF and RF spliced into LOC and all connections soldered before taping. LOC grounded to the Radio Chassis.

Kenwood "800watt" 2ch amp bridged to DVC 12" kaption with tuned box. I grounded the amp to the trunk. A bracket holding the factory sub into place. I pulled it out, sanded the floor, and bracket down to bare metal. Installed the ground as follows:

1.floor
2.ground cable (ring connector)
3. Bolt and washer

Power cable and remote wire runs along the RH side of the car
RCA's running along the LF side. (monster cable) No ground

With the key in ACC, the system sounds allright. Other then not having a delay yet, noise is minimal. KOEO, is another story. Anything from the power window button to the headlight switch causes popping in the system. When the car is running, the sub emmits engine noise related to RPM. The driver moves like crazy, so for testing I have kept the gain to min. When I UNPLUG the RCA's, the noise is gone, so I am sure its a signal problem. I am sure ALL connections are correct, I even did it twice. I ran another set of highend MIT RCA's from the LOC, to the outside of the car and to the amp. Same problem.

How likely is it my LOC or HU is bad? I have never had this problem with aftermarket head units and their pre-outs. I may need to get a new deck anyways, since DISC ERROR came up tonight..lol. Any ideas would be great. Im stumped.
----
One more question
Will any deck work with my steering wheel controls? I know i need to buy harware to do it, but does it need a remote or anything?

Thanks

[:)~]

·
Registered
571 Posts
As I understand it, the LOC is not supposed to be grounded unless under special circumstances (cant remember what). I have practically the same setup running as you, stock HU -> Navone LOC -> EQ -> Infinity Amp.

No engine noise at all, and my LOC is not grounded.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i never ground LOC's when i use them in customers cars and i've never had a problem with noise. try taking the grouond off the LOC and see it that helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Definitely check your ground for your amp and make sure you have the right power cable for your amps output. If you choose to put an aftermarket cd player in your car, the wire harness you buy, is not going to look like it will fit because there is one less on the aftermarket harness than the stock harness. Plug it in and enjoy. I had to learn this out myself damn best buy they dont know what they are talking about. Good luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I allready tried with no ground. And I do need new power cable, grd, ect.

My stock deck CD changer kicked the bucket last night. I get good deals on Alpine because of where I work. Looks like a CDA9857HU for me!!

(And I suspect the harness won't come with a plug in for the sub/steering wheel controls, so no worries)

4g power and ground and a 60A fuse should be enough eh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts