Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Getting next to no cabin heat in the '04 ZX5 we have. Car runs normal just with almost no heat. Where to start looking--t-stat,heater core, ect??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
How long does the car take to reach operating temps? Make sure the coolant level is up. If your down on coolant you won't get any good temps out of the heater because the heater core doesn't have any coolant in it.

If it takes a long time for the car to warm up (watch the temp gauge) chances are the t-stat is stuck open and needs replacing.

If both of these conditions are fine, then I would start checking out the air doors under the dash and make sure they are switching back and forth fine.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Screw the temp gauge- it can be misleading. Use the electronic odometer trick. To get into electronic odometer test mode: Key off, press odo reset button and hold. Turn key to On, wait until gauges move and odo reads [test]- release reset button. Now every time you press and release the odo reset button you will scroll through one of 30 test modes. I don't know how many time it will take, but eventually you'll reach one that reads something like [15 C] or whatever your ambient or engine temp should be in C at the time. 15C= about 60F for example. Now start the engine and drive around. The thermostat should open around 94C, so what you should see is the engine temp climb to 94, then drop down when the thermostat opens. If you have a thermostat that is stuck open, temps will slowly steadily climb but you won't see cycling where the temp goes up and down until a fairly stable temp is reached. If it's cold out you probably won't even see temps reach 80C without a thermostat.

It is unlikely that the heater core is clogged. These heater cores circulate coolant constantly, and that prevents clogging most of the time. If you think it is clogged, drain the coolant, remove the heater hoses from the engine, then use a garden hose to force water through the heater core to flush it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How long does the car take to reach operating temps? Make sure the coolant level is up. If your down on coolant you won't get any good temps out of the heater because the heater core doesn't have any coolant in it.

If it takes a long time for the car to warm up (watch the temp gauge) chances are the t-stat is stuck open and needs replacing.

If both of these conditions are fine, then I would start checking out the air doors under the dash and make sure they are switching back and forth fine.
Haven't timed it but, the car comes up to normal temp (by the gauge) as it normally does. Just checked the level and boy, do I ever feel stupid!! Very low in the reservoir--brought ti up to the min line and within 2 minutes of running in the driveway I had more heat than I did at a steady drive earlier today. I'm bad for assuming the worst when it comes to things like this. ON the race car we check fluids before every pass and I do the same for our '68 Mustang even if it is just for a ride around town--I guess the daily driver kinda gets neglected by times. The oly other issue that is somewhat related is that when the fan motor is on high, there is a noticable vibration coming from it--any ideas??

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
On the fan, I'd look for something "simple" as well - from crud stuck to a blade, to a broken off or warped blade...

luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts