Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you think that it could be my brakes?...it only does it when i apply them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Probably an out of balance wheel. People are gonna post a million times telling you warped rotors, but unless you do 70-0 stops downhill 10 times a day or race the car and brake like it's an F1 car, street rotors do not warp. Could be a bit of a sticky piston in one of the calipers too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...i never thought about that...but i never does it when I'm just driving only when i go to stop...I'll check the caliper too..probably wouldn't be a bad thing to get new ones anyway...lol

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you can warp street rotors, i've done it. but it depends on when you feel the vibration. is it only on braking? is it at constant speeds? accell??

·
Registered
921 Posts
If a wheel is slighty out of balance, you may not feel when regular driving but it will become more prevalent when the mass is decelerating. My wheel was not shaky with the stock Pirellis when normal driving, but it pulled to the right very slightly when cruising and the wheel oscillated a good amount when braking. I recently replaced them with Bridgestone Blizzaks, and the wheel shakes no more with the same alignment and torque specs.

Definitely check the calipers, but don't blindly replace them. A quick thing to check too would be the torque to the lugs and the mating surface between the hub and rotor. Make sure they sit nice and flush together. They can also make the wheel shake a bit and are really easy things to check out.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea it's only when i brake as stated above...i might check everything out tomorrow.

·
Registered
921 Posts
you can warp street rotors, i've done it. but it depends on when you feel the vibration. is it only on braking? is it at constant speeds? accell??
Doubtful. Most likely pad material was transferred onto the rotor surface when they were at a high temperature. It's very common to see this as people often leave pressure on the rotor after a hot stop. The pad will leave a little streak or footprint on the rotor surface. Trust me, rotors can warp, but don't on the street. You gotta get 'em glowing and by then your brake fluid is useless anyway.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so your saying that some of the material off the brake pad could have baked itself to the rotor?...i could see that happening.

·
Registered
921 Posts
In a nutshell yea. Often times in traffic or after a high speed stop, the pad stays in contact with the rotor because you may be in traffic or whatever and the hot pad surface leaves a little footprint on the rotor. The driver would be able to feel that as feedback in the pedal and it's chalked up to a warped rotor. Another "warp" symptom is uneven wear on the rotor and pad surface caused by uneven or improper lugnut torque, or contamination of the mating surface between the hub and rotor. Most people's wheels only come off when they go to the shop, and most shops use the gun on the lugs, which is not the best thing for the wheel/rotor/hub assembly. Good race shops hand spin and torque wrench those babies. [thumb]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the first rotors i had on my car warped after they shaved them. YES, they can warp. I have done it. and at that time, i did not race. (I mean track racing) it depends how long you have them on ur car too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i bought it used so but I'm guessing that they have 70,000 mi on them.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Warped rotor will be evident if while braking, your brake pedal pulsates. The pulsations will also vary with speed. If there very warped, you may feel it in the wheel. But generally your going to feel it in the brake pedal much sooner. Steering wheel shake (no pulsating brake pedal) can be caused by bad suspension component or wheel bearing starting to go bad. Possibly a tire. During brake, your transferring the weight of the vehicle to the front, something is now struggling to compensate for the load. Personally, I would start with the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn it...i hope it isn't because i just got the drivers side fixed not that long ago....BTW it only does it while braking hard.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
lol! Ok. So WHAT did you get fixed? That may help lots. [cheers]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts